Sunday, June 03, 2012

Coming Up For Air

Wow, it's been a while.

A long while.

So long that I don't even recognize my blogger dashboard anymore-- what the heck?  Time for this old dog to learn some new tricks, I guess.

The past month and a half have been amongst the busiest I've had as a mother yet, but I've enjoyed it (mostly.)  I've composed so many posts in my head while out for a run or in the backyard gardens, only never to have found the time and motivation to get it onto the screen.

We were blessed with a crazy, early, warm (often HOT) Spring here, which I have basked in.  I have taken advantage of every glorious moment that I could steal for my gardens.  The vegetables are in, the flowers are blooming, the weeds are battled weekly(-ish).  My fingernails look a bit ishy and the bottoms of my feet are dirty every night, even when I wear socks and my gardening boots.

Big, Happy Sigh.

We made it through the 5 Dance Recitals in One Weekend thing and the Dance year has wrapped up (kinda sorta; it started again for Atticus last week.  The girls the week after next.)  The Spring Rummage Sale is done (Thank God, and this time, when I write I'm NEVER going to do a rummage sale again, I REALLY mean it.) Violin recitals- check.  Piano recital- check.  School concerts and school plays-  check.

3 kids in soccer, 4 in dance, 1 in baseball, 2 in violin and 1 in piano keep me hopping day to day, week to week.  I don't mind, though, because those are all such positive activities.  I'm all about the positive when I can get it.  Plus, here in the Frozen Tundra we only have so many months when we can play sports outside, so let's take advantage of it while we can.

And (and this is a totally selfish thought that I will admit only to you), I actually get to sit and knit while I cheer my kids on during said sports.

Did you catch that?

Sit.

and

Knit.

Both are things which rarely happen, outside of Knitty Night, during these Summer months.  So, the more sports that the little ones are in, the more Mama gets to sit outside in fabulous weather, knitting.

Cha-ching.

 The boys are finishing up school this week, and we are going through some MAJOR  It's-the-End-of-the-School-Year-and-I-Didn't-Approve-This-Change Wango Tango.  I don't know if I should be happy that the end is nearly here and we can finish up this particular dance card, or if I should be terrified of the It's-Now-Summer-and-I-Didn't-Approve-This-Being-Home-All-Day Wango Tango that will be stepped right into.

Guess that doesn't really matter, because it is what it is, and some things are unavoidable.

Some things you can't skip around.  Some things you just have to go through.

Which, with some things, like PTSD/RAD behaviors, going through it rather than around it, pretty much sucks.

Other things, like the bottle of wine the Mister is opening as I type, make me quite happy to go through it, rather than around it.

So, here's to the start of summer, and to the start of some regular blog posts.
Cheers!
Sarah


1 comment:

Corey said...

I can't remember if either of the boys has an IEP or 504 plan.. if so, you could petition for them to get ESY (extended school year). This is really just a few mornings a week in a camp-like program at the school. In some ways it is more of a pain in the neck (having to schedule around it), but it also would give you a break from the crazy behaviors.