Friday, January 20, 2012

Yesterday:

* The boys had a great second day of school. Score! We had a highly productive day of homeschool (two in a row!). Score!

* My dishwasher/kitchen sink became MAJORLY backed up. No score! Gag! My dear husband drove down from the U.P. to unclog the entire production, and then drove back up north for work. Before he left he held up his trusty plumbing snake tool which has saved us hundreds of dollars in unnecessary plumber fees, announcing to our daughters: If the guy you wanna marry can't use one of these, you may want to rethink your decision.

To which Hatfield responded: Why does he need to use one if I learned how to use it from watching you?

Thatta girl, Hattie Lou. Thattagirl. Man, I love that kid more and more every day.

* I tore apart my homeschool shelves and storage area in the basement, looking for the next math text/workbook for Atticus (we rotate between Teaching Textbooks and Math-U-See, so that each reinforces the other, creating an absolutely stellar math curriculum). I knew I had the set, as Hatfield had completed it several years back. But, it wasn't in my Math-U-See container.

An hour and a half later, I realized that my little math nerd (said lovingly) had already finished that set some 6 months back, and I had placed it in Paloma's bin. He finished it a grade and a half earlier than I thought he would, but it hadn't occurred to me that he was already set to begin the next level.

Oops. Why is it that as my kids get smarter, my brain get dumber?

* I made oatmeal/blueberry pancakes for dinner, along with these hash browns. Holy Hash Brown Heaven, Batman! They were soooooooo good. I didn't use that much oil, and I used olive oil instead (but not too high, because the scorch temp for olive oil is a lot lower than that of veg oil). Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

* The kids' dance costumes have been trickling in all week. I LOVE costume week, and since my sieve-like brain cannot remember what any of the costumes we ordered actually looked like (hey, it was way back in October, and we ordered a million of them), it's like Costume Christmas all over again.

Miss Hatfield is now nearly as tall as me, so guess what? I can now try on her gorgeous ballet costumes that I have been stealthily drooling over the for the past years.

So I did!

And you know what?

Somethings are better left to one's own imagination.

Things like ballerina costumes.

Because this is what I had pictured in my head:

which I then somehow had to resolve with this reality:


(*shudder*)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uh, I thought you promised me you wouldn't show anyone that picture if I let you take a shot of me in that tutu.....

Mr. Swan Lake

PS- It is great having smart kids, even if it is getting harder to fool them into believing we know what we are doing!