Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Worth every minute

Coming off of two weeks of back-to-back, away-from-the-kids vacations, last week was a doozy.

Predictably so, but a doozy, nonetheless.

And just because you can predict, sister, doesn't make it any easier. I bet I get a few Amen's with that statement.

After a long week of flat-out disobedience, errant p*ea, sneakiness and crazy-ass lies, we've regained our foothold on our very own special flavor of Normal Life.

Chores, School, Play/Family Fun, Meal. Rinse and Repeat.

My Haitian Sensations thrive best with a simple, predicable routine. Even the whole "you can't play until you finish your math sheet," can upset them to such an extent that they'll stall on a simple, easy-peasy 5-problem sheet, angry that they are missing playtime (so often they're angry before anyone has finished and when playtime hasn't even started), yet not able to move forward in that if they just do the darn sheet, they'll get to play immediately thereafter.

These constant struggle with natural consequences are a daily occurrence in our home. I'm getting better with handling it. It's just where they are, and the struggle is likely one we'll be dealing with for years.

I walk that tightrope between helping the boys move forward (positive) and getting sucked into a vortex of control issues (negative.) It's a fine line, somedays. I'm learning to simply refuse getting sucked in, and instead of playing control games, I am redirecting all my time and energy towards the kids who aren't stuck at that moment.

Yet, progress, however slow, is being made. What used to be a 3-hour stall-out is slowly weaning down in time. Interestingly enough, they take turns in the Stalling game. One stalled yesterday, the other today.

I'm pretty sure that they must confer or something after Lights Out.

Happily, though, the stall today was only 12 minutes. That's amazing progress, and I'm proud of these little guys. Hey, you take what you can get.

And you know what? No matter what type of homecoming I received, every minute of both vacations were worth it. On principal alone I refuse to succumb to the notion that going away isn't worth it due to payback.

It is. I have earned this time away to recharge. My neuro-typical children have earned this time away to recharge. And the Mister has earned the time away. No excuses, no guilt. Just gratitude that we had these opportunities.

:)

I'm a bit disillusioned as to where summer went, and the beginning of Fall, for that matter. Last weekend the Mister took the boys up to Camp and closed up shop until May '12.

Always a bummer of a time, because closing Camp is pretty much writing "The End" to our Summer. And the ridiculous--and I'm a mother of 5, so when I write ridiculous, I mean RIDICULOUS-- amount of laundry generated by the return of all the bedding, sleeping bags, clothing, etc.

I suppose I could leave it up there until Spring, but I hate the thought of some sneaky vermin getting in there and cozying up for a long winter's nap in a closet. *Shudder*

So, I get all freaky and make the Mister remove every single piece of clothing and paper products, as well as place a fabric softener sheet (to deter mice) on every piece of furniture, air vent, cupboard, and other random nooks and crannies in the trailer.

I purchased a jumbo-sized box of Downy sheets, and he returned home with at least half of them. "You didn't use them all?" I nearly screached.

"I could have covered every square inch of flooring and furniture if I used all of those," he replied.

"SO!?!?!?!?" People who do not have a fear of mice will never, NEVER understand those of us who nearly pass out at the mere mention of them.

While I slaved away in the laundry room, the Mister and Boppa installed these in our garage:
The lockers are from my folk's new house, which used to be owned by a Packer's coach, so it is probable that the lockers could come from one of their training facilities. I bet if I marketed them as such, I could make some money on eBay. Amazing what Packer fans will pay for things, like rusty, used lockers.

Honestly, who would have thought that lockers could make kids so darn happy? I suppose it's a homeschool thing, as my kids have never had lockers of their own.
The girls set to work at decorating their garage lairs. The boys just stuff their belongings in and hope that the door will close.



No comments: