Monday, October 03, 2011

Frayed ego

Generally, I like to think of myself as a healthy person.

I eat a primarily vegetarian diet, which doesn't mean that I binge on non-meat options like Doritos and Girl Scout cookies all the live-long day. I truly love veggies and fruit, so I eat a lot of those each week.

I work out multiple times each week. Long, hard, sweaty workouts that get my heart rate soaring and require a shower before I can further venture from my home. Granted, I work out more for my mental health than my physical health, but I'm happy to reap the benefits of both.

I have a high pain tolerance and doctor office's give me the heebie jeebies. Which is why I'm able to ignore an ever increasing pain and crunchiness in my shoulder for, oh, I don't know, a good 3 months.

See where this is headed?

Over time, I have strained/possibly torn tendon in my rotator cuff, responsible for the pain with repetitive motion, along with fraying of some ligament thingy or something, which is causing the crunchiness.

Which equals 6 weeks of complete upper torso rest, and I can't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk (and even that I should do left-handed.)

I. Am. Ready. to. Scream. And not from the pain. This is a major blow to my personal sense of pride (which I know is totally wrong to have, but whatever) at being a healthy person.

But, you know, a healthy person addresses health issues as they happen. Not ignore them for 3 months.

A lightbulb moment, for certain.

Oh well, at this point, what can I do? I'm thinking a glass of wine would be kinda nice, but the Mister hasn't brought back my script from CVS, and I'm unsure if alcohol will be a no-no.

And while 6 weeks of reduced motion and yucky shots and pt may not be enough to get me to drop the whole personal pride issue, you can be certain that a 6 week wine fast will.











1 comment:

Corey said...

I had a really bad pain under my right shoulderblade for a long time when I was running a lot. So, not recently, lol. But you know what made all the difference? A chiropractor. I do not understand what they do, but wish I could afford a weekly back- cracking.