Thursday, March 10, 2011

Home again, but not for long

* I am home from Orlando. Orlando was so incredible that I can't even begin to find adequate words. So for now, I'm not going to. EXCEPT to say that I met an absolutely amazing group of women were there. And I'm now honored to be friends with some of the most incredible women in the world. And now I know, without a doubt, that no matter what curve balls life throws at me, I Am Not Alone.

That is priceless.

* Corey Waters, the mastermind and lead planner of this event, is the bomb. There are no words I can offer to adequately reflect the complete adoration, respect and gratitude I feel towards Corey. Laura M. is a goddess who put together the most amazing food/menus imaginable. I mean, not in a thousand years could I have even imagined how good it would be. Angie B. hosted a Heartline Purse Party to benefit Haitian Women. Betsy & Barbara & Carrie put together a kick-ass 5K. The behind-the-scenes work and dedication these women put into the event was mind-boggling. Many women donated prizes, brought gifts for everyone, or baked food and sent it to us! The love was overflowing.
They are priceless.

* Back in January, I made a New Year's Resolution to take care of myself. Orlando was my #1 way of honoring that resolution. I have come home feeling like I found myself again. I don't feel alone anymore in the trials of my life. And I can't think of the last time when I had hours---HOURS-- of time to think and reflect on my life without the interruption of family-induced stress. AND, I found my brain again! I feel refreshed and re-energized. When my mom called me this afternoon, she said: "I feel like I have my old Sarah back again!"

And she's right.

It's a great feeling. It's a great feeling to feel like I'm gonna kick some ass in this lifetime, instead of feeling like life is kicking my ass. Hoo-rah!

* The Mister and children did very well without me. I am very proud of them. So far, I haven't been able to find too many "My mom went away without me!" behaviors, with the exception of Keenan, who suddenly "didn't know how to put diaper on good" anymore at bedtime.

What Keenan didn't plan on was the fact that the Mister has zero sense of smell and couldn't sniff the knock-you-out *pea* odor in the room. So my boy slept on some absolutely rank sheets until Manmi came home and nearly vomited the moment she walked in the house. Natural consequences suck (for him! for me, I love them!), and maybe someday he'll catch on. Oh well.

But you know, if that was the worst of the "my mom went away without me!" behaviors, I'll take it.

* Prior to my plane landing, the Mister warned me MANY times over that the house was in really, really, REALLY bad shape.

This is his usual strategy, completely over-exaggerating just how filthy the house is, so that when I come home I'm like, "Seriously? This is nothing! It looks great!"

This time, however, he was not lying. The house truly is filthy. Like filthy on a cellular level.

But you know what? I don't give a flying fig. Because I went to Orlando. And I had a fabulous time. And I Am Not Alone.

He could have let the kids watch the 8 season box sets of Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place and fed the kids nothing but Twinkies, and still, I would not care. Because I WENT TO ORLANDO!

* Tomorrow I take Hatfield, Atticus and Paloma out of town for a dance competition. I am really looking forward to spending some trauma-drama-free time with these kids.

When I'm gone, Hatfield and Atticus really step up to help keep things moving along in a calm fashion. Which is not always fun, nor is it always easy. So as a reward, I'm going to keep things really fun for them this weekend. I was able to snag a free room upgrade to a whirlpool suite. We're going to eat pizza in the room, swim until we're pruned, and then watch a movie in our room. We'll go to a restaurant on Saturday night for dinner with a bunch of other families, and on Sunday we'll stop at Trader Joe's before we head home.

I look forward to the day when I can take all of my children away to events like this. Yet, at this moment, my other 2 little guys can't handle the schedule changes, noise and chaos. Someday they might be able to, but for now, it would do them more harm and instigate more setbacks than anything good.

* Sometimes it is hard to see just how far our kids have come when there are still so many limitations that exist in their day-to-day lives, but yesterday I had a great opportunity to see just how far my Miles has come along. Last night, he attended a birthday party. By himself, sans siblings. He did wonderfully. He was polite. He was well-behaved. He left with grace and dignity. He came home and was polite. He went to bed with grace and dignity. He woke up in a great mood.

Holy Moly. It is an awesome thing to see.

6 comments:

ania said...

This showed up in my Google Reader list and I started to read and thought, "Oh, I thought I'd marked that as read. Hmmm." Then, I realized that I'd read the recap by Essie of The Accidental Mommy.

And I'm so impatient that I had to post this comment before I even read your post.

But, I am going to read your post now.

ania said...

(Hah-hah, I had read it! No need to post either of these comments.)

ManyBlessings said...

Sarah I can "hear" it loud and clear in your writing too!!!! YOU ARE SMILING ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE KEYBOARD!!! :) I'm so happy for you I could cry. Hon, you SO deserved this! Enjoy the weekend with the kiddos. Lots of love!
dawn:)

ali said...

found ya! xoxoox ali

J. said...

it is hard, really hard when they are mad peeing and saying I hate you with their eyes. Have a great weekend and enjoy the time

Wife to the Rockstar said...

love this. i feel the same!!