Monday, November 29, 2010

Thar they blow!

Wow.

After an entire holiday vacation of acting up and spiraling out, several family members finally released all their crazy in one large, loud volcanic eruption this very morning.

Proud to say that I was not one of them, lol. As such, I reward myself with 5 Gold Stars.

(One Gold Star entitles the bearer to One Hour of Peace and Quiet. Which, coincidentally, allots me the time to read the second book of The Hunger Games trilogy. Because I already finished the first book yesterday. Holy smoking page turning because OH MY GOD was it great. If you haven't read it, you should. Because it will be an awesome 6-hour break from whatever reality you may have.)

Additionally, not only did I not contribute to the blow-out, I cleaned up the mess. Another 5 Gold Stars for me.

(Which, coincidentally, allows me enough Peace and Quiet to finish the last book of the trilogy. Boo-ya!)

This time, the blow-up was a good thing because it allowed me to work with Miles on getting to the heart of the things which were bothering him while snuggled up on the couch.

Last Wednesday, the Kindergarten & First Grade at school had a Thanksgiving Feast. During which a big first grader started calling my son "stupid." ("Stupid" is the "S" word in our house, so it's a pretty big deal.) Miles became terribly upset and hurt. He told the teacher, the teacher told the kid to knock it off, but the kid gave him mean looks the rest of the meal.

Which, to Miles credit, he ignored. I asked him what he did, and he told me "I just ate turkey and gravy-tatoes." Good for Miles. That right there is HUGE progress.

I totally want to go to school and pound that first grader. It's one thing to pick on an emotionally healthy kid. But my little boy is not. So leave him alone.

That one little incident put him on the edge of a slippery slope. Which he slid down. And down. And down.

However, we're getting better at climbing back up. And that's a good thing.

To help keep the "Fun" in "Dysfunctional," the Mister and I rewarded ourselves the past two night with 4 mind-blowing hours of. . . .watching dead people stalk the living in the incredibly good tv show, The Walking Dead. Which helps fill the void from True Blood Season 3 ending ALL too soon.

And seriously, how can watching a small group of unusually attractive living humans with no hot water or food try and figure out how to survive among 20 million man-eating zombies not make you feel better about the little ol' challenges in your own life?

And even if it doesn't make me feel better, on the flip side I recognize that at the very least, having survived Attachment Disorder Challenges for a full-year makes me realize that 1) I am WAY tougher than those unusually attractive and slender living humans on tv and 2) I am dealing with RAD. Zombies do not scare me. Any RAD Mom can SO kick 20 million man-eating zombies a$$es any day of the week.

Either way, it's win/win.

1 comment:

Sawatzky family said...

I am so happy to hear that you are watching "the zombie show" lol I am not repeat not at all into scary movies or shows but I love this show! I keep recommending it to people and in return get weird looks and long silent moments ;p Glad to see another momma out there appriecate the dead people! I know this was the least important portion of this post but honestly i am so drugged on pain pills right now it is the only part I feel able to comment on HAHA!