Thursday, October 14, 2010

My grandmother taught me to knit in 4th grade.

Over the years, I'd pick up the sticks here and there.

When I lived in Milwaukee, my friends and I knit a lot.

I moved to Green Bay, and the knitting bag was put into the back of the closet.

Until I discovered that my friend Essie knits. And she loved the idea of forming our own little Stitch 'n Bitch knitting group.

So we did. (My totally immature adolescent side says: "Oh my gawd! I get to hang out with Essie the Acccidental Mommy and knit! And talk! I love hanging with the cool kids!")

Every week we get together on Tuesday nights at a local cafe. Some nights we stitch more than bitch, and other nights we stitch as much as we bitch.

Either way, every night is a good one. As Angie said, it feels so good and nice and normal. Normal is not something RAD moms get a whole lot of.

Last month, I finally finished my French Market bag.

This month, I finished a winter hat and mittens for Hatfield. BEFORE winter! (and if that's not a Holy Moly! Did Hades freeze over?!? moment, I don't know what is!)




I used a chunky wool blend. I thread paillettes onto the yarn, and then placed them on a purl stitch according to the hat pattern.

My mitten pattern was just a plain ol' mitten pattern, but I added the sparkle on around the edges in the same fashion.


My girl LOVES them. And Paloma has big, BIG plans for the hat and mittens I'm going to make for her. Part of the BIG being that she plans on me finishing them before winter. But if h*ll can freeze over once, it can surely freeze over again. Especially here in our climate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for you to knit me a sports coat!

Nice job on the knitting, I do hope to get rewarded with something knit for me (unless it is from that twisted site we used to look at that had wierdo knit things.

-Mr.

Essie the Accidental Mommy said...

I do so love that hat set! I really wish I could make mittens but I would lose my mind doing the thumbs.

Ames*One said...

Hi there,
I "Next Blog"ed onto your blog, and how interesting! What a unique family you have. I don't even know why I like you're blog - we have absolutely nothing in common - I don't have kids, I'm not even married! I don't really care about knitting, or baking cakes, or cleaning up wee. Maybe it's just the fact that we're so opposite, I get to see a life completely different to mine. What I know I DO like is the way you manage to stay so positive and light hearted in the face of what must be a never ending list of things to deal with which I can't even begin to imagine.. Anyways, just wanted to say, your writing makes me smile. I will keep reading from time to time.