Thursday, September 02, 2010

Confusion and Delay

Yesterday morning was Miles and Keenan's first day of all-day kindergarten.

Proudly wearing backpacks bearing their own names, each boy brought to school a beach towel and a pillow for naptime.

I grudgingly bought the pillows, only because homeschool had me otherwise occupied and I just didn't get it together to make them pillows (I have 2 huge bags of batting just sitting, cluttering up the basement.) Lately I've been obsessed with two things:

1)Trying to really reduce the amount of monthly outgoing cash, because the Ad-Venture isn't gonna last forever and we need to stockpile some dough for a used-but-new-to-us vehicle.

2) Decluttering and becoming more minimalistic in my approach to life. A SLEW of fabulous minimalism blogs are out there for inspiration. But as we've been finding out for the past 12 months, 7 people in one home and their very basics create a full house as it is, without all the extra junk.

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

So in that spirit, Hatfield 'recycled' two of the boys favorite shirts, long outgrown but still in the rummage sale pile, into pillow cases.




(Miles isn't nervous or worried here; he's just scratching his head because there were 10 million mosquitoes outside that morning)
Miles and Keenan were SO very excited and tremendously proud to display what their sister created for them.

Hanging out with 'Chocolate Ethan,' who is a different child than 'Blahn Ethan'

The day went very well for each of them. Both little boys greeted me with smiley, shiny faces and full reports of what they did throughout the day.

They passed that first day with flying colors.

Manmi, on the otherhand, flunked Kindergarten Mom 101 and caused grand Confusion and Delay for poor Keenan.

Over the summer, I hit the rummage sale of a lady who had 8-year old twin boys. I have nearly 6-year old pseudo-twin boys. Among other cool twin things, I scored two identical Cars lunch bags for a buck. Cha-ching!

However, I failed to do 2 things:

1) write my boys' names on their lunch bags, and
2) notice that the previous owners' names were written on the lunch bags.

So Keenan gets to school and puts his lunch bag in the classroom lunch basket. Lunchtime comes, and Keenan has NO idea which lunch bag is his, because he can't remember what's on it.

The teachers are looking for Keenan's bag, and they find a bag with the name "Collin" on it. "Keenan, do you have any brothers named Collin?" they ask him.

"No," he resolutely answers. And he's right.


So the teachers were completely perplexed and had to go through their class lists to make sure that a Collin was not in the class or enrolled in Kindergarten, in case they somehow 'misplaced' him.

I don't know about you, but a teacher admitting that to me doesn't install a huge amount of confidence in their ability to keep track of my child.

So there you have it; that's how little ol' me managed to cause Mass Confusion and Delay on the first day of Kindergarten.

What did my boy do for lunch?

Instead of just giving him the nowhere-to-be-found-Collin's lunch,Keenan took hot lunch where he was fed---gag-- chicken nuggets and 'smiling' potato bites (McCains?)

How exactly that shit meets the district's 'nutritional' requirements is beyond me because--News Flash!-- It Ain't Food!

That probably sounds contemptuous. I am trying really hard to get over my complete distrust for the school district, since my boys are in a public school and all, promise.

This morning marked Day 2 of Kindergarten and I had my Mommy Mojo on, sending the boys to school with lunch bags bearing their names (four times per bag, no less) and all the 2 billion forms that they sent home yesterday filled out.

Here's to hoping that today I receive a passing grade. And that Keenan can find his lunch bag and eat a lunch of actual, real food.

3 comments:

Corey said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I almost peed myself reading about school lunch. It sounds like Essie was sitting in your kitchen helping you write your blog post. But I am right with you. Even before I started my healthier eating I thought school lunch was disgusto.

That didn't stop me from letting my kids eat it, mind you. I was all about convenience. I just tried not to think about it.

Love their pillows, btw! xoxo

ania said...

Good job, Hatfield!

(Hey, look! I made it to the top!)

Essie the Accidental Mommy said...

Ugh, did my comment make it or no?