Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Winding Down Summer

While summer's not over just yet, it nearly seems so because those "Big" events on our calendars that have been "at the end of summer" all summer long, are now at the forefront of our days.

We're in the final stretch before the big Half-Marathon Day this upcoming Saturday. Sadly, my training has been somewhat lacking in the past week because I have some sort of flu bug that I can't shake and I have been feeling punkish most of the time. My race time is unimportant to me; I just look forward to my trip to Madison with the girls! The thought of running/walking 13.1 miles just isn't all that intimidating when you know you're going to be laughing and goofing around all the way.

My garden is ripe for the picking, and 'harvest time' is always one of my favorite parts of the year. I spend a good deal of time each day in the gardens, picking, freezing and canning. I have salsa on the slate for this evening. The tomatoes grew like weeds this year and I think I eat around 3-4 per day. A tomato, an ear of corn and a hunk of watermelon is a pretty darn good meal that will leave me humming with happiness.

School's just around the corner, and that fact alone seems to be nailing summer's coffin shut. The boys had Teddy Bear Kindergarten Camp all last week. By day 2, I was pretty sure that Miles would be the first child removed from the camp program, but by the last day, he hit a stride of compliance, and we ended the whole thing on a good note.

Thank God! While I'm not overly fond of dealing with school systems and teachers, I truly like this school and I really think the boys can grow and do great things there. And besides, I really, really, REALLY need the daily break.

And I don't feel even the least bit guilty of saying that.

And I'm not being sarcastic there. (I know it's hard to tell sometimes. Just ask the Mister.)

Because, seriously, I need the break. The other kids need a break. And the boys need a daily break from us so they can see and learn that the "not fun" rules Mama has at home here are the same everywhere.

We're seeing improvement in our daily lives with the help of therapy and the Credit System. The day immediately after therapy is a rough one, because quite often it brings up so many un-processed feelings. The Credit System really helps reinforce house rules and expectations in an unemotional setting.

I've been talking with a lot of people lately on the wisdom, or lack thereof, of bringing home two children at the same time. Generally, I feel that in the pre-placement world, there is a large push to keep sibling sets together. Once they are home, however, I seem to run into more and more people (professionals and families), who do not think it's in the best interest of each child.

I'm not of an opinion either way on that topic. I hold fairly strong opinions on displacing birth order, or adopting within the age group of children already living in the home (which I'll share at a later time), but as to siblings or the number of children entering the home, I dunno.

I will say that my two boys will sometimes mirror each other. Well, Miles does what he wants. But quite often Keenan will mirror Miles' behaviors. Like on Monday morning, around 4:30 am, Miles decided to start yawning. Loudly. I mean like SCREAM YAWNING. I was startled awake, because I thought someone was murdering a child. But no, it was just him yawning.

I'm not a peach at 4:30 in the morning, and I think somewhere in there, once I realized no one was murdering anyone, I suggested that if the child had so much energy to yawn like that, the child probably had the energy to sweep the garage. Imagine when the child went immediately back to (pretending) he was sleeping.

Damn, I'm good.

Either way, once we were all awake (which included me assuring the then-awake Atticus and Paloma that a mass murderer was not in our home and getting them back to sleep), Miles had to pay me credits for using up my energy and waking me up. Miles does NOT like doing that. No one does.

This morning, he slept peacefully. But for some reason unknown to me, Keenan, at 4:45 this morning, decided to clap, snap and sing. Loudly.

Lord help me.

You would think that having watch his brother have to pay me, become upset over it, and then not have enough credit to purchase movie time, would be enough for this fairly attached and rather smart kid to learn.

Nope.

He just paid me his credits and then melted down, all over the kitchen floor.

Does any of it make sense? Nope. Nor do I even try to make sense of it anymore, which at the very least, saves me some mental frustration. Somethings I just have to chalk up to the "Shit I Can't Make Sense Of" category. Funny, that category has quadrupled in size in the past year.

Sigh. Summer winding down--sad at moments, but at the same time, I'll be perfectly content to let Fall and it's accompanying set schedule in.

3 comments:

geralyn said...

I'm having a bit of a summer that feels like it never really happened. Everything got all crammed together and now I am so behind on school wit the kids I could scream. Oh wait, I actually do scream, so never mind, things are completely normal here!

Get rid of your bug and enjoy hanging with the fun girls. Good luck!

Amy said...

Hey, hope you feel better soon so you can marathon down the road.

I totally understand the whole, I need a break from them, thing. I think I'm a better parent to J when I've had a break. And he doesn't even have the issues that you're dealing with and there's only one of him.

I was so looking forward to the routine of school. I have not enjoyed getting up every morning but there is a smile on my face when they all leave the house. Sigh...

Hang in there.

Amy

bbbunch said...

I think every Mom needs a break. If they say they don't, they are lying.

Have fun in Madison! Love you!
Beck