Monday, May 03, 2010

May's Mantra: Get Serious about Play

This is my schedule today:

8:30 am Haircuts for Miles and Atticus
9-noon Homeschool, while somewhere in there making play-dough for the 4-K
Noon- 3:15 4K for Paloma, Miles and Keenan
1:00 Chiro for Moi
1:30-3:00 More Homeschool, Laundry, Dinner Prep, etc.
4:00 Dance for Atticus
4:15 Dance for Paloma
5:15 Dance Pickup
6:00-7:00 Soccer for Paloma, Miles and Keenan
6:15-7:00 Dance for Hatfield

Today starts our two-week stretch where our Dance season and our Soccer season overlap. While I'm always careful not to overschedule our kids, this is just a stretch that I cannot do anything about. Because the Scheduling Fairy has a sick sense of humor.

Needless to say, May's Mantra: Get Serious about Play is sorely needed.

Last month, April, was one of the suckiest of all time for me. Challenges with the kids, with the marriage, with my energy level, with migraines, bad news in the extended family, more deaths in the extended family. I felt as if I spent most of the time walking around dazed, wondering, Is this really my life? 'Cuz I'm not so sure this is what I had in mind.

This month, May, however, seems to have gotten off to a Wonderful Start. Which is such a relief, because I needed to turn this ship around.

Yesterday was one of the best days ever. The kids and I spent two hours at a local park, hanging out with Jill and her girls, and another new mom friend named Angie, who is just about the nicest person I ever met, and 3 of her kids, including her son and daughter adopted from Haiti.

I owe Corey a huge THANK YOU! for facilitating this meeting.

How funny is it that it takes a friend in Virginia to set you up on a "blind date" with a gal who lives less than 2 miles from your own home?

So here's the deal:
To spend two hours at a park,
watching your children joyously play with people who look like them
(you transracial families out there know what I mean),
while you spend two hours talking
and visiting
with a Mom who is dealing with her own attachment challenges
and who completely understands you
and who is so willing to share her own experiences
and give you great, honest, constructive feedback
and who makes you laugh
is
absolutely
amazing.

I came home on Cloud Nine, feeling like I was gonna cry, but in a good way. It was such a happy relief. The kids came home on Cloud Nine, having a great time with Jill's girls and Angie's kids at a great park.

It was just what we all needed.
And we have set up another playdate for next Saturday.

It was a great way to start off May with a focus on Play.
I am so ready and willing for this month to begin.
Let the Games Begin!

4 comments:

Sawatzky family said...

WOW!
Here is to a great May for you guys! :)

bbbunch said...

YAY! So glad to hear it :) Love you!

Corey said...

HA! Glad you gals had a good time! Now I am totally jealous and need to look at airfare..

Mighty Isis said...

Hi Sarah,

Am catching up on some blog reading and came across this post...I, too, had such a wonderful time and am so thankful to have met you!! Looking forward to many, many more playdates (but even more MOMS ONLY DATES) this summer :).

Hugs,
Angie