Monday, February 15, 2010

Let Chuck Norris Help You Help Your Marriage


The past 6 months have been among the most difficult and trying months of my adult life.

It is very easy to know that we should treat the ones we love better than we do anyone else. Yet in reality, this is very difficult to do. If we're not careful, it's shockingly easy to take out our hurt, exhaustion, and frustration on those closest to us.

Lord knows, I am guilty of that a million times over.

But since we have brought our boys home, for the first time in our marriage, something has 'clicked' in me, and I --both willingly and lovingly--put a huge amount of my time and attention into my hubby, instead of my old M.O. of giving my marriage the scraps---the 'whatever is left'--of my energy.

I am finding it more important than ever to connect with the Mister. Because more than every one else, he has my back in these crazy times.

Laughter is SO important. If we approached our current daily life without a sense of humor, we would get seriously bogged down in some major feelings of irritation, resentment, anger, etc.

This weekend the Mister and I had to deal with the following good times:

* A child who peed all over his bedroom floor.

* The discovery that this child has been secretly peeing all over the rug in his bedroom, for some time, judging by the stains on the rug.

* This same child who, when sent to the bathroom to rinse out the rag he was using to clean up his pee, chose to lock himself in the bathroom and flood the ENTIRE freakin' bathroom. Like the magnitude of Noah's Ark flood.

Needless to say, the Mister was fried by the time he left for work this morning.

So you know what I texted him this morning?

Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King.
And got one.

Each and Every Day, I text the Mister an Important Chuck Norris Fact. Among his favorites, thus far:

"Chuck Norris counted to infinity--twice."

"Chuck Norris does not have hair on his testicles.
Because hair cannot grow on steel."

and his all-time favorite:

"Some kids can pee their names into a snowbank.
Chuck Norris can pee his name into concrete."

Immature?
Sure.
Crass?
Yep.
Vulgar?
Nearly always.

BUT, the Mister loves it. He looks forward to having a laugh, and he'll know I'll usually send them at the most inappropriate times for him to laugh, like when he's in the middle of a lunch or sitting in a quiet waiting room.

In times like these, when less-than-pleasant issues face us on a daily basis, it's the little things--like Chuck Norris- that count for a whole lot.

Just don't tell Chuck Norris that I called him "little."

Because when the Boogeyman goes to sleep at night,
he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

And I don't wanna mess with a guy who scares even the Boogeyman.

4 comments:

This Mama said...

Love the post Sarah - and agree with you - a strong marriage with lots of those little moments, lots of laughs, can get you through anything. Perfect for me to read right now as I am missing Rob so dearly right now while I am taking a moment just to "breathe".

Sean and Lisa said...

We LOVE Chuck Norris around here!! So glad he is helping to bring humor and lightness to a heavy time in your life. I am sorry your child forgot how to use/find the potty...I have one just like that! So much fun!!

How great is it that you are focusing on strengthening your marriage during this incredibly draining time! It will come back to you a hundredfold!!

Did you see the Chuck Norris calendar of fun facts? I begged for that for Christmas but the boys just thought I was down right weird! LOL!
Blessings...

Sawatzky family said...

Sarah..I am rolling on the floor laughing! This post is AWESOME! lol
I love your approach during the tough everyday stuff..Shawn and I are HUGE believers in this!
That one about hair on steel just about did me in!
Hahhaaaa

bbbunch said...

I love you! You seriously crack. me. up. and believe me...I really REALLY needed it this morning :)

Becky