Sunday, January 03, 2010

Ushering in a New Era

Happy New Year!

Not only a new year, a new decade. And for me, a new era of sorts.

This year, my children are ALL home. No more adoption wait. No more wondering if this is the month, the season, the year. For the first full year since 2006 (because we started the process at the beginning of 2007), I have no more mother's turmoil, worrying about dear children in a country far, far away.

I find the amount of emotional and mental energy freed up once the boys were home to be mind-boggling. It seems like for the first time in forever, I can just live in the moment.

And after 33 months of living "when the boys come home, we can. . ." living in the moment is a breath of fresh air. A pretty darn wonderful breath of fresh air.

This year, my baby turns five. FIVE. I have no baby, no toddler in my home. For the past decade, I've pretty much always had a baby or a toddler in the home. But no longer. And we have no immediate, or any, sort of plans to bring a baby or toddler into our home anytime soon.

With 5 children ages 4-11, our family will be able to do so many things all together. This summer we will be able to take family bike rides, with 7 bikes. Or we can go to an amusement park, and no one will need to sit beside a stroller. No booster seats at restaurants. Heck, for the first time we can go to a restaurant without the fear of a tantrum or food fight.

The Mister and I find this to be an exciting time. To have no obligations or distractions other than what is right in front of us. To be able to concentrate and aim to live according to our values and beliefs. We have not felt this settled and at peace in a long time.

We wish you all a time of peace and joy in this new year. For my friends who are enduring the long, hard wait for your children, we wish you a speedy process. Please know that I am always praying for the process, the children waiting to go home, and for peace to surround Haiti.

Blessings!
Sarah

No comments: