Saturday, January 23, 2010

Travel

Tomorrow, I am packing up the car with my two girls, picking up my sister, and driving two hours south to visit my grandparents.

I haven't blogged about it yet, but both my paternal grandparents are ill and in nursing homes. Sadly, after nearly 70 years of marriage, they are not together in the nursing home. My grandfather is on the dementia ward, and my grandma, who has multiple health issues, is currently on a rehabilitation floor.

I cannot imagine after being married 60+ years, and living together each day in retirement, suddenly being separated from my spouse. I am so hoping that my aunts are able to find a nursing home where they can share a room together, once the doctors give approval.

The entire situation is covered with sadness. What a sad, lonely way to spend the last days of your life. It's not one that any of us in our family expected, and yet, here we are.

I haven't been able to see my grandparents since my uncle's funeral. Both began declining shortly thereafter, in and out of hospitals and such. Then our boys came home and life as we knew it blew up (in a good way, but nonetheless), and we are still trying to figure out what the new "norm" is for our family.

My plan is to bring the girls and assess the situation. Then, if my aunt thinks my grandparents are up to it, I will bring the Boy Patrol for a visit the following week.

I am so grateful that Paloma is at this stage in life. She is a loving, delightful little girl. She is also the "Baby" of all the Great-Grandchildren. I know she will bring a lot of sunshine with her.

The Mister took all 5 children out shopping this evening for someone's birthday gift, and I poured myself a glass of wine and am looking through some photo albums from when I was little.

So much of the time, I don't quite feel like an adult yet. I can so clearly remember being a little girl with a Mom and Dad and two very active grandparents who we visited often.

It seems so close, but yet it also seems like a lifetime ago. Because so many things have changed.

All of this serves as a good reminder to me to just enjoy each day. To make connections and memories with my children and husband. Because this is but a season too.