Saturday, January 09, 2010

Look who's 37!

Happy Birthday to our Beloved Mister, who turned 37 yesterday!

True to family tradition, we began our day with Presents

and Cake.

And true to family tradition, my camera batteries decided to die out moments before the early a.m. shindig began. And I was too tired and cold to hike it out to my van to get the battery charger (because doesn't everyone keep their charger in their car?)

To celebrate the occasion, I made the Pioneer Woman's Red Velvet Cake. Which is probably the best cake I have ever made. Ever.

If you have someone you really, truly love in this world, make them this cake.

You should always make your loved ones cakes from scratch, IMHO. If you don't, that's okay, but seriously, it's not like you don't have 365 days in advance warning to prepare for your loved one's birthdays.

How hard is a little preparation to show someone just how much you care?

Because a from-scratch cake is in a league of it's own. You can't compare.

That's my "Bake A Cake from Scratch" soapbox. Forgive me. I'll hop down now.

The kids were so excited to celebrate Daddy's birthday. Until now, it's been only celebrating children birthdays, and sometimes, little ones become envious of the attention and gifts doted upon a sibling. So sometimes, birthdays become a day of great dysregulation. And we all know just how much fun that isn't.

With Daddy's birthday, everyone was in good spirits. Happy to celebrate. Happy to eat cake. Happy to have a good day.

All the children adore Daddy. We are very, very blessed to have a Daddy who's main priority in life is the welfare/upbringing of his children.

The Mister cares about each child for who that child is. Not who he wants them to be.

The Mister believes each of our children are gifted and magnificent, and he works with them so that they can see just how valuable they truly are.

He doesn't force his hobbies and interests upon our children.

He doesn't force his beloved Spam upon their plates and palates.

And he doesn't demand control of the remote when he is in their presence. The man has watched enough Little Einsteins and Special Agent Oso to earn his rightful spot in Disney-free heaven.

I adore the Mister too. He was my knight in shining armor 10 years ago, and he still is today. The Mister was out of state for the majority of this week. And my one lil' defiantoso REALLY gave me challenge after challenge after challenge all week long.

By the time the Mister arrived home Thursday night, I was nearly down for the count. But the Mister swept into the house, gave me a kiss that made my knees weak, hugged the children, and laid down the law for lil' defiantoso.

Peace had been restored.

God Bless this Sheriff.

Happy Birthday, Babe.
We love ya!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Very sweet, your mister and the cake!!

Sawatzky family said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY MISTER!!!!
When we get to Green bay this year and we will!!!
When we see you all live and in person I think CLiff I will have a hrd time referring to you anything but the Mister! lol