Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Checking In

Each and every day I mentally write out several blogs in my head. Blogs about homeschool, about adoption and attachment issues, about large family management, about the adorable and/or heinous things my children do. Days are busy, and I find that finishing the post in my head gives me a sense of completion. The next thing I know I'm in bed, nearly dozing off and I realize that I never got that chance to sit down at the computer to put down on the screen the words that travel through my mind.

I'm not sure if it is the homey coziness that autumn elicits, or if simply the demands of a five children keep my on my toes to the point where I can't really focus on anything else, but I am feeling an overall sense of fullness and completion and satisfaction that I haven't felt since we started the whole adoption journey 3 years ago. I say "overall" because some days and moments are so insane and just plain ol' not fun that I question my own sanity. But those are just moments, and fortunately, they are outnumbered by the good ones.

Moving into this holiday season, with my family complete and at home, is a realization of a long-time hope/dream/prayer. The childrens' excitement is contagious, and I can't help but feel those butterflies in my own stomach.

Everything is so new to the boys, and their personalities tend to look at new things with wonder and excitement (as opposed to fear and uncertainty.) They are certainly an example to me, a gal who sometimes looks at the new or unknown with intrepidation. Last night I watched as the boys' reaction as Cliff offered them a bite each of Mom's spicy beans-and-chilies enchiladas. The moment Daddy offered them, they beamed with excitement. They let the hope that something good could be coming direct them. No fear. No crying about not wanting to try something new. Just happy to be included and offered the opportunity. I see their eagerness spread to the other children, and before I knew it, everyone was partaking in a food that prior to the boys' homecoming, no one would have been willing to try.

Their spirit gives me so much to think about.

I'm not even sure what the purpose of this particular post is other than to just write down a thought that has been on my mind this morning. And to let you all know that we are good, and that I hope the same for you and your own families.

Many blessings,
Sarah

2 comments:

Lisa said...

So wonderful to hear that you are enjoying all of those little moments. Like you said there are some hurdles, but they are easily overlooked by the simple fun that five kids can bring!

Have an amazing fall!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, when I watch you handle the immense workload, witness your wondrous way of parenting the kids when they need proper direction, and just handle all with grace and humor, I realize that I married Superwoman, able to handle 5 kids (3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 husband) and still look beautiful.

-Mr.