Monday, June 01, 2009

Wanna know who has I-600 approval?

Miles does.



Keenan does not.


Keenan's file is messed up seven ways to Sunday. 6 months after we file for approval, we received a request for another hoop to jump through. We need to obtain a document that will likely take months to produce. I am trying not to focus on the fact that if they had made this request upon the first review, we would have the document by now. It seems like they go through a file, find a mistake, request the correction, and stop everything until it's done. Then when the correction is made, they pick up where they left off, until they notice the next error.

We have made the decision to schedule a Visa appointment for Miles to bring him home. This is the second time where we have had an opportunity to bring one boy home before the other. The first time we did not take the opportunity because we thought the second approval was mere weeks away. But this time we are looking at months---months. That's a long wait. And I can't deny Miles the opportunity to have these months in our family. And I can't help but feel that bringing the boys home one at a time must be the Lord's plan.

I know this is a decision that not everyone will agree with. Please, please know that this is VERY difficult for us and we do not take it lightly. Although the boys entered the creche together and are related, we do truly feel they will do well apart. Keenan is one of the 'head honchos' of the creche and is always with ALL the kids. Miles is much more reserved and watches from the sidelines. I think it will be good for him to come home so we can focus on him. His adjustment will be more solid when it's Keenan's time to come home, and maybe that will be a good thing for both boys.

What a bittersweet, horrific experience. I want to shout and celebrate and be joyful that my baby boy will be coming home! But my heart is crying and my anger is flaring.

This is just SO Haitian adoption. Right to the very end.

17 comments:

Me said...

I think this is the first time I have offered congratulations and condolences at the same time. So exciting yet so heartbreaking. But it's all good-it will all work out.

Sawatzky family said...

Bittersweet Congratulations my dear Sarah!
The Lord does have all of this under contol. He knew all of this would play out in exactly this manner and His hands are still wrapped securely around your entire family through this step as well! We will be praying for a smooth transition and for some divine intervention for Keenan to join you all sooner rather than later :)
All our love and support
Shelly and gang

Sawatzky family said...

Bittersweet Congratulations my dear Sarah!
The Lord does have all of this under contol. He knew all of this would play out in exactly this manner and His hands are still wrapped securely around your entire family through this step as well! We will be praying for a smooth transition and for some divine intervention for Keenan to join you all sooner rather than later :)
All our love and support
Shelly and gang

A Blessed Life said...

Since we can't see the bigger picture and He does, we have to trust in His plan.
I'm just thrilled that Miles will soon be home. We will just have to keep praying until the door opens for little Keenan.
Congratulations!!!!

Salzwedel Family said...

Hooray! I am so thankful you have at least one approval. You are right though - this could be a huge blessing - it's good to look at it that way. We can't see the big picture and maybe the entire transition will go better this way. I know it was a hard choice, but you do what is right for your family and move forward. I am so thrilled for your family!

Amanda said...

I know that the separation isn't what you desired, but at least ONE is coming hom now, and for that, I congratulate you!!!

Glady said...

there s a song in Creole that says" pran kouraj, fe ke ou kontan, paske yon jou wa konprann pouki" translation " have faith and let your heart be happy, for one you will undrestand why"

Congrats to you and your family, one mountain moved and trust the other one will too :)
God Bless

bbbunch said...

We are so happy for you that Miles will be home soon :) Everything is in God's hands, my dear! We can't wait to meet our new little friend!

Love you!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,
I just read your post and burst into tears! You were so right when you said this is Haitian adoption, truly unbelievable isn't it? I agree with your decision, we would have made the same one, Miles needs to be home w/ you, and Keenan knows you are coming for him! Best of luck to you bringing Miles home and know that we are hoping your precious Keenan will join him very, very soon! You are one BIG step closer in having your family complete!!

Lisa, Morelson's Mama!

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

Congratulations!!!!! I understand your concern, but bringing Miles home is a good idea. I have learned that first hand.

YAHHOO another child home!!

Aves

Mandy said...

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! We are adopting three (from Haiti) and will bring them all home separately. Our daughter came home in April, another should get his visa "any day", and the third is months away from being home.
It has been a terribly difficult decision for us as well; some people have been critical of our decision, but apparently this is how God wants it ---- and while it isn't how we would have planned it, we only want what God wants!
My prayers are with you!!

small town girl said...

Congrats to you and your family, and I am sorry Keenan is not also coming home right now. It may be part of the plan. Adjustment is no easy matter, and it may be that this is for the best, although I know you don't want to hear that right now. Anyway, I completely support your decision and I would do the same.

Darla said...

Sarah and Cliff, We are happy and sad for you at the same time. I think you have made a good decision, just because you made it and it will reflect in how you assimilate Miles into your family. you. Like you said, you can bond with the boys one on one and they may benefit even more. Our hearts are with you at this time.

Love, Granny & Papa

Janet said...

Congratulations and I am sorry all in one. I would do the same. It's such a hard decision but if God lead you to it, it's the right one. I will try and get pics of your boys if they are both still there in a few weeks.
Janet

Jenn said...

I can only imagine how hard the deciiosn was for you guys to bring Miles home without his brother. But today is not about the bad part of adoption it is about the good....welcome home (soon) Miles!!

Amy said...

Congrats on one approval. It may be a good thing to bring home one at a time. I think you are absolutely correct on the way they go through files, finding one error and then totallly stopping until that gets fixed only to find another error. We've definitely experienced that. I'm sure you've said but I've missed it, where did you file the I600? In the states or in Haiti? Our file is finally in passport printing, after almost 45 months of waiting.
Amy

Katy said...

Now I understand your facebook updates...just hadn't had time to check the blog. What a difficult and bittersweet decision. Rest assured...you are doing the right thing. Keenan will be home too...God always has perfect timing. Rejoicing with you that precious Miles is finally coming HOME!!!