Saturday, June 13, 2009

To paint brick or not to paint brick?

Just when I was ready to compromise with the Mister and say, "We'll paint the siding, let it sit for a year, and then decide about the brick," I then saw these pictures here.

I must say, I'm intrigued with the result. And I would even dare venture to say the brick on that house was less dated then ours.

It's not that I hate our brick. Well, I mean, I do, but I recognize the beauty of it. It's just that the rustic, earthy 70's color brick doesn't seem to pair up well with a more formal, french-sort of home. Plus, I don't like the pairing of black with brown and orange. Too much of a genre or style conflict.

Mister, my love, I already know what you're going to comment, but everyone else is invited to comment away :)

6 comments:

bbbunch said...

OMG!!! If that before and after picture didn't convince everyone (my husband included)...well... they need to have a drink and look again. WOW! PAINT PAINT PAINT PAINT PAINT PAINT the brick (that was 1 vote for every person in my family...Marshall included!) Unreal! LOVE IT! :)

The Bunch

Heather L. said...

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the really white house in the after picture, but I think painting brick is okay if you're really sure. I agree with your husband about starting with the siding (and the trim, doors, and shutters if you're keeping them). But I wouldn't wait a year to paint the bricks if you still hate them after that.

Lisa said...

That transformation was so unbelievable!! I didn't comment when you first posted and really wanted to think through it, after seeing that picture and going back and looking at the pics of your house, YOU HAVE TO DO IT!!! My husband even agreed and he is so not into painting brick usually!! I'm excited for you, throw caution to wind and go for it!!

Sawatzky family said...

I had seen that post already and loved it Muy Muy Mucho!!!!
I still say PAINT THE BRICK!!! Make sure it is a color you LOVE and you won't regret it!
PAINT AWAY :b
Shelly and crew

Momto14 said...

PAINT IT!!!

Anonymous said...

Let's start with other things- shutters, doors, etc. Then, after a small time period of...ten years, we can decide about painting the brick! :)

-Mr.