Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Laundry Day

3 kids, 8 loads of laundry, 2 rolls of quarters, 1 basket full of toys and 1 backpack full of junk food went to the Laundromat this morning.

The kids entertained themselves in between helping with all the laundry. I entertained myself by reading all the great magazines in the Laundromat this morning.

Look at this one!

I entertained myself by reading the March 1997 copy of Veggie Life magazine. Yes, the vegetarian magazine has sat in the Laundromat for 12 years now, untouched and never stolen.

The Mister had a field day with that one, as you can imagine.

My washing machine is broken for the 5th time in 15 months.

Its breakdown caused me to have one huge breakdown last night after I put the children to bed. My emotions and blood pressure are at an all-time high with this whole adoption wait right now. Our finances are stretched thin with impending travel and life expenses, and the thought of having to pay for yet another service call made me feel sick.

So I sobbed.

For a long time.

The poor Mister couldn't figure out if I was crying about the adoption or the washing machine or something else. I was a sorry sight, I'm sure.

But this morning arrived and with it, a refreshed mind that concocted today's game plan.

I'm sick and tired of my fancy schmancy front-loader with its fancy schmancy computer panel. The thing is just too delicate to take the abuse we dole out to it on a daily basis. Or maybe it's sturdy enough, and I'm just too rough. But my first washing machine was a top loader that I had for 12 years with no repairs ever needed. (Okay, well once, but that was totally, unequivocally my fault.)

Either way, I'm going to sell the broken washing machine to the appliance repair/resale shop, and then I'm going to buy a tried-and-true, used, top-loading machine for $100. My water bill can be damned, but I'm not going to keep paying for these stupid repair expenses.

Now that my washing machine saga is over for now, my mind and stomach are back to feel sick with anticipation. So I'm going to borrow the 4th Twilight book from Mrs. B's today. She said it is the most delicious of all, and despite being nearly 800 pages, the one she finished first.

Sounds good to me. I'd much rather have that to occupy my mind than yet another broken appliance.

4 comments:

Sawatzky family said...

I LOVE that you are reading Twilight series! I have of course read them all three time now! lol
You will love this last I am sure :)
We are still praying hard for you and this adoption here in the cold North! And so are our new friends and church family :)
God is good they will come home to you!
Shelly and family

bbbunch said...

Can't wait until you finish the book so we can chat about it...been trying to keep my "game face" on and not give anything away!

Beck

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that you are pragmatic and don't feel the need to keep up with the joneses. Bravo to your objectivitey (is that a real word? You know what I'm trying to say).

As for the 4th Twilight book, methinks that's the reason you are so encouraging of me doing an overnight up north! Hmmph!

=Mr.

Me said...

Washing machine troubles are no fun! I can't imagine hauling all that laundry and 3 kids to the laundramat. Is Atticus sporting a mohawk in the picture? Very cute! And the 4th Twilight book was my favorite. Enjoy! I may have to pull mine out and re-read.