Monday, April 13, 2009

Only a Few Things are Really Important

Today is a sad day for me, as my Dad passed away 18 years ago today. I was 16 when he died. "18 years" is absolutely mind-boggling to me, as it seems both so long ago and just like yesterday.

This is the family my dad created.
I am so proud of all of us.
I think he would be too, if he were here.

Here is Paloma, hunting for eggs at 6:25 am Easter morning. Our fiesty girl would have held a very special place in my dad's heart, and I think she would have adored him.

Little Miss Diva was not about to place a dirty egg into her pristine Easter basket.

Mr. Atticus is always thinking a few steps ahead, planning his next moves. My dad would appreciate that. My dad was a brilliant man, and I do believe my wee lad received some of those genes (they must have skipped generations, or maybe it's only carried in the male genes, ha ha)

And Miss Hattie. As the first grandchild, I can only imagine how he would have doted upon her. I love my girl. A pre-teen, but still not embarrassed about being seen outdoors in her pj's at 6:30 in the morning.


We held Easter at my mom's this year. She held a lovely affair.

The 5 Frozen Chamorros:

His three children: Myself, my sister Stephanie and my brother Adam.

His three grandchildren:

My dad was the only son in his family. My brother is the only son in our family. And my Atticus is (so far) the only son (here) in my family. (My mom also only has one brother. And the Mister is the only son in his family. We have a strong female bloodline!)



In 1959, my mom was in Brownies/Girl Scouts, and her Mom was the Troup Leader. In their home's basement, on Wabash Street in Waukesha, Wisconsin, they made paper plate Easter Bonnets.

In keeping with that tradition, we girls had a ball making our own bonnets.


Even though I have lost my dad at a young age in my life,
I have been very blessed.

I'm one of the people on the planet who are lucky because they were born to incredible people.
I was blessed to have been his daughter.
My children are blessed to be raised hearing stories about their Grandpa Carl.
Through this tragic loss, I have become wiser.
I "get" some things,
things that I'm pretty certain I may not have,
had our family not gone through what we did.

Only a few things in life are really important.
-Marie Dressler

Indeed, only a few things are.

Thank you, Dad, for all that you have given all of us.
We love and miss you,
Your Family

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you today. I know that your father was and is an important part of you and your life. Our family, and everything your father would have been proud of about our lives and our children, is due to your wonderful accomplishments as a wife and mother.

-Mr.

small town girl said...

(((hugs)))

It's hard without Dad here, for sure. But he did create a great family. I LOVED those bonnets!!!

Thinking about you this week. Here's to hoping we both get some good news!!!

bbbunch said...

My Dear Sarah,

Many many hugs to you today! 18 years probably seems like forever and like yesterday all wrapped into one. As I approach the 1 year anniversary of my mom's passing...I can't even imagine 18 years. Sometimes it is in my most simple moments - stacking the dishwasher for some reason often does this to me - I realize that I am surviving and continuing my life. I am going about my day to day business of life without her, something I never thought I would be able to do. Then it hits me. She is still here, I am NOT without her, she is smiling down on me and probably proud that I am doing even the most mundane tasks the way she taught me. I know that your dad is proud of you and your whole family. You have turned into the kind of daughter/wife/mother that anyone would dream of having. What a wonderful gift that you have given your kids by keeping your dad’s memory alive for them, telling them stories, sharing memories and teaching them where they came from. Your father was a brilliant man, and he left a brilliant legacy!

Love you,

Beck

Sawatzky family said...

Sarah what a beuatiful loving tribute to your Dad. I am just crying as I write this. And Cliffs comment didn't help either! ;(
Tle way you and CLiff are leading your family is th ehighest honor you could give your Dad and you are doing it beautifully. I am sure he could not be more proud of all of you :) I love all the family pics you posted to!
Shelly and gang

Me said...

This is one of my favorite things you have written. Thank you for sharing it with us. Your family is so beautiful and I know your Dad must beam with pride at his legacy. The pictures were great!