Monday, March 16, 2009

33 Months in the Making. . .It's Finally Finished!

When we moved into our home, our family room was painted "Elephant Peanut Candy."

The previous owners, in a stroke of brilliance, even painted the ceramic wall scones "Elephant Peanut Candy."


When the light switch flicked to "on," the room was ablaze in neon "Elephant Peanut Candy."

Prior to all of this, I loved those little candies.

Now the thought of those little orange peanuts makes me want to hurl.

We painted the room, and made it "okay."


But the physical dimensions of the room, along with the huge wall of multi-hued fireplace, made me truly wonder if the room would ever be anything but a complete disaster.

Two years, several cans of paint and a bottle of wine to fortify our resolve to actually paint brick, we painted the whole room and all the brick white.

Stark, yes, but I found it breathable.

Yet try as I did, the idiocy of the previous owners kept popping up here and there.

Like this little discovery, when we found out they didn't move the bookshelf when laying new carpet and painting the room. No, they just worked right around it.

The Nestor wrote a few brilliant posts, like this one, which inspired me. And a plan began to take shape.

I co-conspired with Jimmy and we worked like busy little mice on the room and it's furnishings.

This past weekend, while we were away, Jimmy and Boppa were little Room Elves, and put the finishing touches on the family.

And we are done.

And I love it.

We went from this:


to this:

to this:

To help rectify the "carpet issue" we had, Boppa cut a strip of carpet from in under the fireplace and filled in the area under the bookshelf that those people were too lazy to move. He then laid and grouted tile under the hearth.



My mom did a fabulous job on the window cornice.

We took my old, banged up coffee table--which had become the 'Ponyville Play Station' in the basement, and we painted/distressed it Antique Red.

Sorry about the Pony Station, Pona.

But a Mom's gotta do what a Mom's gotta do.
And in this case, I needed to claim the that table for the whole family.
Fini!

9 comments:

Sawatzky Kids said...

Sarah it looks FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!
Love it! I can hardly wait to see it person! ;)
Shelly and gang

bbbunch said...

LOVE it! Can't wait to see it in person!

Beck

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of how you never gave up on that challenging room. I do miss the peanut candy orange color.... it matched the bright blue and Camaro yellow paint job in the basement!

Also, I want to point out that the beagle in the last photo isn't a statue. Its an actual dog, loud bark and all! :)

-Mr.

small town girl said...

I love it all but that painted red table is tu die for!

Maggie Mae said...

Wow Sarah! That looks fantastic! Kudos to you, the fam, and Jimmy & Boppa. Absolutely beautiful!

Melanie said...

Awesome! Stella and Lydia loved playing find the dog in the photos - we found one Trixie Bell and one Ernie! And Stella refuses to believe that is her in the one picture...even when I showed her baby Paloma and how young Hattie looks...sob, sob!!

Me said...

Love it! Especially all the red accents. Great job.

This Mama said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!! I really LOVE it Sarah, nice job guys....AMAZING!!

ania said...

That is lovely!

With every post, I really appreciate how industrious you all are.

Good job.