Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sunshine Daydreams

Today is my first day out of bed, and I'm looking out our front window at a whirl of flurries adding to our already generous new blanket of snow.

It's painful to look at.

While in recuperating in bed, I drooled over all my seed catalogs. I read Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (read it!). I winced through alarming news articles and sighed over the gardening tales of my down South blogging buddies, who have already begun gardening.

And I realized that in addition to the stomach flu, I caught it:

Cabin Fever.

Which makes me:

Stir Crazy.

Heck, scrap "Crazy" and try "Insane."

I'm of the personal belief that you only get ONE and ONLY ONE season to complain about. I can't stand the people moping about snow only to turn around and whine about the humidity 7 months later. So let's all limit it to one and make this all the more enjoyable for those around us, shall we?

I limit mine to "late" winter. I LOVE early winter. I LOVE holiday snows. I LOVE declaring our schools "Snow Day" on the first day of good snow.

But that love stops after my birthday.

I love Spring. The melting and thawing. The little buds peeking out of their winter's hibernation.

I want my Spring to be in February. Not May.

So I while I was in bed, I came up with some Possible Life Plans (PLPs). Of course, the PLP's have to be within the realm of reality (i.e., things we can afford. A castle on the Thames isn't a PLP in this case.)

Like maybe we should move to Yelm, Washington.



We could buy this house on acreage. We could garden and homeschool and be a short drive to the ocean, a wee bit longer drive to Seattle.

Sounds good, no?

Or we could move on down to North Carolina, by my friend Megan and her family. Look what we could have in their neck of the woods!

On 2.9 acres too, no less. The mountains, the ocean, warm weather, longer growing season. Plus the Y's outdoor pool was like a water park. And the parks there are incredible.

Ahhhhhh.

The Mister has himself a mighty fine job here. So moving is out of the question. So being the ever-persistent problem solver that I am, I realized that the children and

I could relocate here and rent this house

for the late winter months.

On Guam. I couldn't afford the house, but we could rent it for 2 months. We could learn all about the children's heritage while soaking up the sunshine.

Seriously though, I'm really going insane. How many times can one woman clean toilets in 9 day period before she loses her mind? I think I'm on the brink.

So, Miss North Carolina Megan, if I'm still without 2 little boys come April 1, air out the Guest Suite. Because the kids and I are packing up the van and heading your way until the Great Thaw begins up here. I'll clean your house and cook for room and board. Deal?

2 comments:

Kim said...

My sis lives near Yelm, WA. It is nice here in WA, but we still have winter. Lots of rain. Recently it's been beautiful, just cold. I saw some trees budding already. Sorry.

Kim said...

My sis lives near Yelm, WA. It is nice here in WA, but we still have winter. Lots of rain. Recently it's been beautiful, just cold. I saw some trees budding already. Sorry.