Thursday, February 05, 2009

A Message of Hope and Encouragement

Typically, I have not been a blogger who posts a great deal about my faith. I have here and there, but not very often. If I'm honest it is because I'm uncomfortable in sharing something that is both so very personal, but also so potentially polarizing. I don't like confrontation, and, honestly, I'm not seeking it when I choose to post my feelings on a matter.

Lately though, I guess I grew a pair of spiritual cojones, and today I'm going to share something. I read many blogs by people of a wide variety of faith and spiritual backgrounds. I always have enjoyed reading when other people share their beliefs, so why not share mine?

I will make this blanket statement. I am a Christian. I am also very liberal on the political spectrum. If you are not either of these things, please don't feel that I am here to judge anyone on their beliefs. Last time I checked, my God didn't mince any words when he instructed me to not judge others, to love one another in brotherly love, and to do onto others as I would have done unto me. I take all of that stuff pretty seriously, and I'm not about cast that first stone.

I shared this post on my adoption agency Yahoo group at the request of a good friend. Many have shared that it has given them comfort as well.

In addition to our fellow agency families, I belong to a large group of us adopting families out there who have been waiting a VERY, VERY LONG time. An agonizing time. And there are families out there who haven't been waiting quite as long (but really, it's all long, no matter where you are!), but yet still struggle with the grief and pain. So I wanted to share that with them.

So, all that being said, I will go on with my post :)

(To give a bit of background, our files exited MOI on July 3rd of last year. Since then, it's been a living nightmare of sorts. Since December we have been waiting on USCIS approval so we can get Visas, but our files have just been sitting. Very disheartening.)

Last week was terrible for me. The grief I felt was nearly drowning me. I had been praying faithfully and I was wondering if God could even hear me. I cannot even describe the feeling as the grief and frustration was building to a level I never thought possible.

We went to Church on Sunday. At church we begin with Praise and Worship, I sometimes up to the altar and pray on bended knee. This praying usually involves a good cry ;)

On Sunday, after Praise and Worship, our Pastor called Cliff and I up to the front so they all could pray for us, which surprised us (pleasantly so!) We are Pentecostal Christians, so as such we believe in the 9 gifts of the Holy Spirit (speaking in tongues, interpretations, prophecy, healings, miracles, etc.) We have very wise and gifted Pastors in these gifts. He was about to begin praying when his wife, Pastor Sandy, took over the microphone and began speaking in the Spirit. She then interpreted, and this was (some of) God's message for me:

"My daughter, I hear you. I know the grief and sorrow in your heart.
Like Hannah, I hear you. I hear you today because of the grief in
your heart. I know this has not come to pass in the way you would
have liked. But in the name of Jesus, I decree, this too shall pass.
Quickly. In the name of Jesus, this shall happen. This is not about
the two of you. This is about saving two little boys and bringing
them into the family and kingdom of God. This is about bringing them
home so they can be raised up knowing the love and word of God."

Pastor Dennis then began a prayer for us, but he eventually stopped and looked at us and said, "God is saying 'I have this covered. This entire situation is covered.' That is what he is saying to me over and over again this morning. 'This entire situation is covered.'"

While I was sitting, listening to the rest of service, I could suddenly hear God telling me, "Daughter, I have always been here. You could not hear me because your worry deafened your ear."

Later we came to find out that their daughter, who has long been gifted in interpretations, had received the same message. During fellowship afterwards, a young woman whom I never met came up to me. She said that while we all praying, she had a vision of a robed arm, throwing wide open and releasing a huge flock of angels. Those angels flew out, much like if you were releasing a huge flock of doves. The flew out and were going to a place with paper. The young woman did
not understand the paper part, but we have been praying for many weeks now that God descend angels upon the Consulate to help protect our files and move them through.

I cannot begin to explain the incredible Comfort I have felt since Sunday morning. Worry had deafened my ears to the messages the Lord was sending me. I listen to the Joyce Meyer radio show each and every morning, and this Monday she preached about frustration. As
Christians, she said, many of us have the tendency to focus on banishing the devil from this and that. But we can't fight the darkness ourselves. In order to overcome darkness, we have to turn on the Light. We have to put our prayers to God. We should not be praying to the devil to stay away. We should be praising God for his protection.

Listening to her, all 3 of the messages just culminated together and I felt an overwhelming sense of peace. I was given a game plan for how to handle the remainder of our wait. What a gift! I just needed to quiet the worry and paranoia so I could hear it.

Blessings to all of you and your families who share this same wait.
Love,
Sarah

10 comments:

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

Sarah,

Beautiful, I am also a Pentecostal Christian at heart (attended and was saved in one for many years), even though I now attend an Evangelical church (long story). I figure God really doesn't care. Different religions were created by man to divide us, not God who wants to unite us. Your post brought me to tears...God is so good and loving!! Thank you for sharing.

Aves

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

Sarah,

Beautiful, I am also a Pentecostal Christian at heart (attended and was saved in one for many years), even though I now attend an Evangelical church (long story). I figure God really doesn't care. Different religions were created by man to divide us, not God who wants to unite us. Your post brought me to tears...God is so good and loving!! Thank you for sharing.

Aves

Salzwedel Family said...

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Simply beautiful. I am praising God for this powerful message He shared with you.

The Dohrenwends... said...

THanks for sharing this intimate and beautiful story.
I hope others will be as blessed as I was by your words.

Amy said...

I have been following your blog for quite some time now..I have prayed and cried with you. I met you at Cornerstone at the Women's Retreat awhile ago. I just want you to know that I am touched by your honesty. God is so Good---he will deliver! Keep your eyes on HIM!
Amy Baker

small town girl said...

Thank you so much for sharing that, it was beautiful. And I am glad you found some peace. I like Joyce Meyer too, I have several of her books. For me I have to say that without the comfort of the Lord, whether it has been manifest inside of church, or outside of it, this burden would be so much more difficult to bear.

Again, thanks for sharing.

A Blessed Life said...

We don't understand the "why" many times of different situations. Noah's International Children's Bible says it this way- "Our fight is not against people on earth. We are fighting against the rulers and authorities and the powers of this world's darkness. We are fighting against the spiritual powers of evil in the heavenly world."
I believe that Haiti is a dark place spiritually and the devil wants to keep those children there. God has a plan for those two sweeties and it will truly be a victory when they come home.
I got chills imagining that vision of the angels.
By the way, I'm pentecostal too!

bbbunch said...

My dear Sarah :)

I am so happy that you chose to share this with all of us. We can all rejoice in the comfort only HE can give!

Beck

Sawatzky Kids said...

This post just moved me to tears! I am so happy that you shared it with the rest of us.
Thank you :)
Shelly and bunch

Kim said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! We are at the end of our Haitian adoption and waiting for a visa as well. I have been so anxious and worried about this and it was great to read this message the Lord had for you. I am sure my worry is deafening my ears too! Praying for all the kids waiting to come home. Blessings.