Monday, January 26, 2009

Desperately Seeking Approval

A new week, a new neurosis.

Thus is the life of an adopting mama.

So here it is, folks.

One Month Ago, our files were deposited at the Port au Prince U.S.C.I.S. office for I-600 approval.

I-600 Approval = Visas = I have 5 children living under the same roof

In the course of this one month, several families have managed to get the approval, get Visas, and in less than 22 hours, have their children living under the same roof with them.

And in the course of this one month, myself and dear, poor Crystal sit, desperately seeking approval.

Why on God's green earth could it take longer than One Month to get approval? I really don't know. We have matching DNA, for goodness sake. We were told it should be a slam dunk once we had the DNA and would have them home in no time. So come on already, USCIS!

So, I mustered up my courage and emailed those good folk again today. I tried to go for a good solid mix of facts (our file has been there one month, we filed our I-600 last May) with some good ol' butt kissing (we apologize for the inconvience of our request, we are so grateful for the work you do on behalf of these children and families).

It's a delicate balance, a fine line, because I certainly don't want to attract the wrong kind of attention.

After all, I'm not that kind of girl.

Yet I certainly don't want my file to be forgotten or glossed over in favor of those alluring, thinner, easier files (those skinny b*tches! the files! not the adopting moms. not that the adopting moms aren't slender. one certainly is, I've met her in person and she's a doll. not a b*itch. it's the skinny files I'm referring to.).

So here's the deal.

Today, I am humbly beseeching all of you, my readers for the following acts:

1) Prayers that USCIS will release our files so we can get Visas, OR

2) Good thoughts and finger crossing, if you're not the praying type (cool with me)

If you can also throw in some prayers/good thoughts and finger crossings for:

1) Crystal's family and son. We can't forget them! AND

2) My sanity. Because I value it almost as much as my family does. AND

3) A speedy positive response from USCIS, because a long wait directly affects my ability to keep sane, thus affecting the effectiveness of the prayers/good thoughts and finger crossings you all so kindly offer. Because, I love you all so much that I would never want to risk any of you developing low self-esteem due to ineffective prayers for my sanity.

And while I'm being so humble and asking for help (I suck at asking for help!), I'd also like:

4) The remainder of our tax documents to arrive so that I can file our taxes and therefore feel less guilty about purchasing a new camera since I would know that the funds would soon be replaced. Because, after all:

Broken camera = No Pictures = Boring Blog

And it would be selfish of me to subject you all, my loyal readers to that, right?

6 comments:

ManyBlessings said...

Still praying.
dawn

Jenn said...

Since I am not the praying type :) I will cross everything until I resemble a human pretzel and send every good thought your way. The same goes for Crystal, both of you have waited far to long.

Anonymous said...

Thank you to everyone praying or even wishing us well during this time. It means a lot to our family.

-Mr.

Crystal said...

Sarah this is nice Thank you very much. I emailed you. Thinking of you and your family and hoping we hear anytime now.

small town girl said...

Wierd. I already prayed specifically for you, Crystal and Lila this morning for Visa's and especially for you because you've had to wait so long and also because it's your birthday. I forgot to mention your sanity tho, I won't forget again!

(((hugs)))

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

Still praying with you in that the news comes SOON!!! It is about time after all!!

Aves