Thursday, December 04, 2008

Songs to Cry to

Are there any songs that make you cry? Every time you hear it? Without fail?

But yet, you love to hear it? For all the feelings/thoughts/visions/dreams/memories it invokes deep within you?

I admit that music does not play a huge part in my day-to-day life. I have not bought a cd in this decade. Do people even buy cd's anymore? I couldn't tell you. I can't think of the last time I went to a concert. I prefer the opportunity to drive in silence over the chance to listen to radio.

The Mister and I each have i-Pody-thingies. I don't really know what it is. I don't know how to work it other than to turn it on and find my podcasts and Nike running program. But somehow each time I put it on to go out and run, there is new music on it for me.

(Note: I'm sure he gets it from only legal sources, because to do otherwise could possibly be construed as irresponsible and in a lifetime ago I used to be a paralegal which means that I'm now really uptight about anything which could possibly be misconstrued as irresponsible and/or possibly illegal. But I really don't understand the whole thing so if it were ever involved in the court of law, I plead whatever the Amendment that protects the Technologically Challenged.)

Sometimes he'll ask me what I like, and I'll recall of a song or two that I really, really like. It's hard though, because my musical recollection is poor and rivals that of my ability to remember book titles and authors. Which is shameful, really.

But lately I've been thinking of songs that make me cry. Because having a nice cry is a good thing.

This song tops my list.

My next always cry song is "I Wish, I Wish" by R. Kelly. Yes, I know he's a pedo. And yes, I realize that's it is nearly comical that I like this because this is a type of music that I never listen to or have no knowledge of. Plus those who really know me in real life find the fact that I know who R. Kelly is to be equally mystifying and entertaining. So sue me. I just remember driving in Milwaukee one time, on my way to work, hearing this song on a radio station that I happened across. And I bawled. And bawled.

And it felt good.

What else is on my life? Hmmmm . . .

Nickelback's "Far Away." Very poignant for any adopting mama who finds herself without her children still.

Yesterday, by the Beatles. Most slow songs by Willie Nelson. Here Without You, by 3 Doors Down. Little Wonders by Rob Thomas. What a Wonderful World. Simple Gift. You are My Sunshine.

Wow. I probably seem like a crying nutcase. But I think we all need a good cry once in awhile. And a song seems like a solid, healthy way to have one.

So how 'bout it? What songs make you cry?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, despite thwarted attempts to mention 2 Live Crew, DMX, and Too Short, I do have a serious one to mention, which I have to thank my wife for helping me to remember- Oh No, by the Commodores. If you saw the Last American Virgin, this was the song at the end when a nice guy gets kicked to the curb after being absolutely wonderful. Not that it reminds me of anything....
-Mr.

Jen said...

Ordinary Miracle & Wintersong (which is my fave Christmas song)-Sarah McLachlin
Ava Maria-Bocelli or Pavarotti
Hallelujah-Leonard Cohen
If I Were a Boy-Beyonce
Yesterday-Beatles
Over the Rainbow-"Bruddah Iz"
Andrea Bocelli & Celine Dion- The Prayer
Time of My Life-Green Day

Have you heard that Christmas song about the little boy who is at the store trying to buy new shoes for his mom and doesn't have enough money but says how much he wants to get them because she is going to meet Jesus tonight? I want to bawl every time I hear it...

I also have to agree with the Mister as well, 2 Live Crew and Run DMC are sad, very, very sad..or is that the people who liten to it??

small town girl said...

You listed two that make me cry everytime, Nickelback's "Far Away" and 3 Doors Down "Here Without You" and both have been on my playlist rotation lately. Also Wynona's "Testify to Love", Vince Gill's "Go Rest High On That Mountain", Third Day's "Cry Out To Jesus" and Casting Crown's "Lifesong" (the last one is happy crying---explain that to the Mister if you can, good luck) And for video??? How about Donica's that she posted about their trip to Haiti last month. I've watched it 20 times and cried 20 times.

bbbunch said...

First of all...LOVE the shirt! The boys can go around town in their lovely shirts, while we moms - well...look HOT! You crack me up! Had a blast with you last night (as always!)

Thank you SO much for the Pearl Jam this morning...ahh the good 'ol days!

I am a FREAK about music and also a bawl baby, so a TON of songs make me cry. Any songs about Jesus at Christmastime make me cry if I am really concentrating(yes...the Little Drummer Boy, etc. included). Okay...cheese factor - You Raise Me Up from Josh Groban. It was one of my mom's favs. The Baby from Blake Shelton; the Somewhere Over the Rainbow version by the Hawain guy (Israel something I think...I'd have to check my ITunes), my parents "song" Autumn Leaves, In My Life, Let It Be, Yesterday by the Beatles, I Can't Make You Love Me, Lost by Michael Buble, practically any true good God Bless America type song and of course "our song" You Are by Jimmy Wayne. There are many, many more, but it is only 6:00 AM...and 2nd cup of coffee!

You rock!
Becky

Salzwedel Family said...

All That I Can Say by the David Crowder Band...gets me every time. I'm sure there are others...I'll have to think on it.

Sawatzky Kids said...

Oh man music is almost always playing somewhere in my house! lol Sometimes it is loud and fun when I need to get stuff done and somethimes it is soft worship music playing softly in tyhe background all day. :)
There are a few songs that always get me: Ballerina Girl, Wonderful World, I will remeber you, Angel, Iris, oh man lots and lots of songs...I am a crier! lol and a laugher!
missing you friend!
Shelly

ManyBlessings said...

oh my...I almost am crying reading this! Definitely Nickel Back's "Far Away" and their other hit "If everyone cared". Whaaaaaaaaaa....
dawn

ManyBlessings said...

Oh yeah, and that's probably not the name of Nickel Back's other song. My girls think it's hilarious that I can never remember names of songs. I just call them what I want. ;)
d

Team Hellyer said...

I cry at practically anything. I can't even watch the commercials for Extreme Home Makeover without sobbing, so watching the actual show is out of the question. As for music .... Hate Me by Blue October has some very raw emotions and it gets me in the gut everytime, Johnny Cash's rendition of Hurt, and someone mentioned the Over the Rainbow hawaiian version, so I 2nd that. Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven always makes me cry, too. It makes me think of my boys that passed and that's never a bad thing.
Happy crying ..... God Bless America and sometimes the Star Spangled Banner. I'm not really that patriotic, but those songs remind me of how lucky I am. I also happy cry when I hear Rod Stewart's Forever Young. My mom played that for me the night before I went to college and one day I'll do the same for my daughter.
Good post!