Monday, December 01, 2008

So long 1970's!

Our family room's focal point is a fireplace framed by a wall of brick. With the most ridiculously long mantle you've ever seen (the width of the room).

The brick is dark, multi-hued brownish/orangish and SCREAMS 1970's.

LOUDLY.

I've got nuthin' against the 70's. It was a good decade. Produced some good things. Like me. And The Pina Coladas Song by Rupert Holmes. Good stuff.

But alas, I knew not what to do with my 1970's brick. It was slowly evoking a full body gagging reflex each time I rested my eyes upon it.

Dramatic, I know. But you catch my drift.

Until I read the following excerpt from the Nester's Philosophy Statement. I heart the Nester. The woman is wise beyond her years. Here is what she wrote:

"Remember those awful plastic sofa covers and lamp shade covers that you would see in peoples' homes? What were those moms thinking? Who were they saving that sofa for? Was Jesus gonna show up and then they would take off the plastic real quick and allow Him to sit on that perfect sofa? No. That sofa is for your family! Now, you might rethink buying a silk sofa if you have a family of three boys but LIVE IN YOUR HOUSE! You don't have to keep that brick pristine for the next buyers--they might not even buy your house because of that dated brick! Do it for you!"

So that, my friends, is exactly what I (I mean We. . sorry, Mister) set out to do.

3 gallons of the most deliciously delectable "Moonlit Ivory" paint, 1.5 rolls of tape, 2 rollers and 3 paintbrushes later, I give you:





One more time.

Before:



After:


So much better! So long '70's! It was nice knowing ya, but some things are better left in the past.

Way, way, waaaayyyyy in the past.

EDITED TO INCLUDE THE MISTER'S COMMENT (because I love it!):
(sing to the pina colada song)
We were tired of the light green color,
I know that sounds kind of mean,
But that green living room
Was the old dull green routine,
So Sarah had an idea,
And it wasn't that bad,
Paint the room and the fireplace,
A shade of white that was quite rad,

Make the Mister drink a Pina Colada,
And give him a paint brush,
Tell him he only has the weekend,
And this project must be rushed,
Make him work until midnight,
With a smile on his face,
Tell him he'll be proud,
Of how he improved this place,

(The Mister will be here every night this week, please try the steak, its excellent and the special of the month!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(sing to the pina colada song)
We were tired of the light green color,
I know that sounds kind of mean,
But that green living room
Was the old dull green routine,
So Sarah had an idea,
And it wasn't that bad,
Paint the room and the fireplace,
A shade of white that was quite rad,

Make the Mister drink a Pina Colada,
And give him a paint brush,
Tell him he only has the weekend,
And this project must be rushed,
Make him work until midnight,
With a smile on his face,
Tell him he'll be proud,
Of how he improved this place,

(The Mister will be here every night this week, please try the steak, its excellent and the special of the month!)

small town girl said...

That looks awesome! Really opened that room up. What a great makeover!

My kitchen is yellow too. Needs to be repainted, and when I do that, I will paint it yellow. Again.

Melanie said...

Woowie Wow Wow! Good Job!!!

- - and nice with the song too.

blessedfamily said...

Wow! That looks GREAT! Extends the room and makes it look larger... beautifully done...

Mister, we need a video to go with your song! LOL!

Sawatzky Kids said...

WOW its always amazing what some paint will do to a room! Great job It looks wonderful! :)
Shelly