Sunday, December 21, 2008

On the 8th Day of Christmas

On the 8th Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:

8 Holiday Traditions.


1) We put up the Children's Tree in the family room each year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I find that if it is a late Thanksgiving like this year, it's a fun way to really jump into the Holiday Spirit. If it it an early Thanksgiving like last year, I find the tree to be a huge dust magnet and tear that sucker down on the morning of Dec. 26th.


2) We make a ton of fudge in 6 different varieties and send it out to all the grandparents and great-grandparents.



3) Mom spends a LOT of time perfecting the holiday newsletter and selecting photos for the 5 Frozen Chamorro Christmas Card. Call me a geek. Or hate me. But I love it!!

Then we wrap the laundry room door in Christmas wrapping paper and hang all of our Christmas Cards on for all to see. This is one of the kids' favorite activities.

4) Tom and Jerry help us wrap Santa gifts.


Each year, the Mister whips up some totally warm, decadent and super strong Tom 'n Jerry's to give us fortitude to wrap the Santa gifts. We watch a funny movie and watch our wrapping skills decrease as we increase our intake of the Tom and Jerry's.

5) On the morning of the 23rd, the Mister asks me what the budget is for a gift to me from the kids and him. Granted, it hasn't happened yet this year because we're not at the 23rd, but my Magic 8-Ball states, "All signs point to yes."


6) The Mister stays up the entire night of the 23rd making Cinnabons to give to our famiy and friends on Christmas Eve. Cinnabons, people. Rich, warm, gooey. I am a lucky, lucky wife.


7) Each year, we buy the kids brand-new jammies and it is the only gift they open at home on Christmas Eve. Many of our jammies are hand-me-downs or sweats, so it's a real treat to get soft, new jammies each year.


8) We always wake up in our own home on Christmas morning. While we are still blessed with children young enough to believe in the magical wonders of Santa, I'm keeping us at home to revel in the sweet, cozy glory of the moment. We wake up in our new jammies, light up the Children's Tree and open gifts. The Mister then spends a gazillion hours taking toys out of boxes and inserting batteries, reading directions, and teaching the nuances of how to operate each toy. The Mrs. brews coffee, whips hot cocoa and heats up the Cinnabons. We are gifted with so few of these special Christmases in a lifetime, and I'm not going to take them for granted.


So there you have it, 8 of our favorite holiday traditions. We'd love to hear some of yours!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great post (and nice pic of our little ice, er, winter princess). I love the pajama one, which wasn't a tradition in my house growing up but is now something I look forward to. The ones I don't look forward to.... putting things together and watching them break within a minute (red trike story waiting to be told) and taking the kids, yeah, thats it, the kids, to get your present. Of course, I already have my present for you, I do, I swear, but they want to get you something. So, if I am shopping on the 24th, its for the kids' sake. I swear.

-Mr.

Jen said...

We have the same tradition of new PJ's for a Christmas Eve gift. I then make all the kids, the older ones moaning and groaning, and make them pose for pictures.

small town girl said...

That is a lovely post. I think my favorites are the jammy's (great idea) and the Tom & Jerry's :)

bbbunch said...

You two are so cute :) We have the same Christmas Eve jammies tradition too. There is just something so cozy and adorable about new jams (and they really only get them once a year too)...plus it makes for cute pics in the morning! We also have a kids tree with all of their homemade ornaments on and then our fmaily tree in the living room. Mikah gets to put the angel on the big tree and Bella puts the star on the kids tree. Haven't quite figured out what Lilly can do yet. We go to church on Christmas Eve, and we don't go ANYWHERE on Christmas Day so that we can stay in our new jammies and play all day (while Beau unpackages toys and inserts batteries too, lol!) I make a German Apple Strawberry Pancake to eat for brunch (it has a WHOLE STICK OF BUTTER!!!) We drink coffee/hot cocoa, watch movies and eat popcorn. It is SO magical and relaxing :) I am so thankful that the kids have off 12 days for school break this year!!! And that it is a White Christmas :)
Beck

Sawatzky Kids said...

Another great post! :)
Thanks for sharing...great picture of Paloma! :p
Merry Christmas
Shelly and crew

laura said...

I love this post and want the Tom & Jerry recipe. I love the pjs. We often do that. We have pictures from our childhood, we laugh at how often we went to bed Christmas eve in one set and are photographed the next morning in another pair of pjs. We were such a bunch of bed wetters!!