Wednesday, December 03, 2008

I Missed the Proverbial Boat


And accompanying bags of royalty money.

Hummmph.

I've been in love with the name Atticus from the first time I read Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. So much of Mr. Finch reminds me of my Dad. Even Gregory Peck, who brilliantly portrayed Atticus Finch in the 1962 movie, resembles my dad.

Simply put, I love the name Atticus. I love the feeling the name invokes, intelligence and strength. I love the slight bit of quirkiness to it, yet it's classic enough to not be quirky. A big name that still rests in an adorable fashion on a little boy, it's masculine enough to make any grown man proud. There is not a single other boys name that I love the way I love the name Atticus.

So it was only natural for me to want to name my first son Atticus. Had Hatfield been a boy, I would have named her Atticus Jude (shooting dead anyone who dared try to call a child of mine, A.J. I'm not an initials-sorta-Mama). The Mister, equally in love with the name Atticus, wholeheartedly agreed to the name when we were pregnant with Atticus, although we opted to give him a family name for a middle name instead of Jude.

There's a rule among us expecting parents who tend to name children from the more 'unusual' pool of names:
Zip it.

Zip it until the child is born and legally, no-turning-back bestowed the name. While that little baby is all cozy and nesting inside, people will feel free to state all sort of ugly opinions that you never asked for. Once your little gorgeous (and named) bundle of joy is here, all of those except for the least tactful among us will keep their opinion to themselves. And your adorable little babe just might change their minds about the name they weren't fond of in the first place.

Our Atticus was born on a warm day in June. We simply cannot imagine him any other name except Atticus.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you mention our 2nd favorite name(s)? The one(s) we'll name our next child? For the record, we are considering Cliffardo or Cliffarda (depending on if we have a boy or girl).

Seriously, I'd just like to say that I love the names of all of our children. What I don't like is sifting through those name books. Yikes! 'What do you think of this name?' is right up there with 'Do I look fat in these pants?'. For any expecting dads out there, let the wife pick out the name. You only have (imaginary) veto power.

-Mr.

Manda said...

From the mommy of the other Attacus in Green Bay, I ditto this post-how funny it was that we had a previous connection but never spoke of this name- yet we both named our sons this- great minds think alike!!!!

-Amanda Johnson

Melanie said...

I have no boy...but I was about ready to name the third girl Atticus!!!

he, he!

Kristen said...

Hmm. We are about to name our girl Scout. Same book . . . different name. :)