Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ending the Year on a Thankful Note

It's sad how, at times, it takes a less-than-pleasant situation to remind us of just how blessed we are.

Yesterday, Atticus and I were in a car accident. We are both fine, thank the Lord, but I am quite sore today and feel shaken by the whole thing. Atticus insists he feels fine, which I don't doubt, as his little body is much more rubbery and bendable than mine.

I had picked up my little guy from a friend's house, way across town. The weather was absolutely horrid--very snowy, slippery, poor visibility and windy. The highway was a disaster with cars in the ditches, so I chose to take the "slow" way through town to get us home safely.

For most of the way, I was driving safely behind a red minivan, which had a little tiny baby and two toddlers in the middle row. There was a Volkswagen behind me, staying at a very safe distance and traveling slowly. I felt quite safe there, ensconced between 2 "Mommy cars."

But, wouldn't you know it, some stupid teenage boy whipped into the space behind me and tailgated me. Of course, a short distance later a light turned red. I came to a slow, steady stop, leaving at least 2 car lengths in front of me. And the boy behind me decided to stop in a much shorter time/frame and distance.

Watching a car come careening up behind you, unable to stop, in your rear view mirror moments before the accident is an unpleasant thing. "Atticus, we're going to get hit, hold on," I told my little guy. My entire body tensed as I was watching both Atticus and the car in the rear view mirror.

Thank the Lord I left the space in front of me, because I didn't hit the gal in front of me with the infant and two toddlers.

"Cool! That was like bumper cars!" Atticus announced. He was fine, and not even shaken up. I'm glad that I had him in the car, as Hatfield would have been terrified and likely hysterical.

We pulled onto the less busy, but still well-travelled, side road. I immediately called the police (thank God I had the Mister's cell phone, as I don't have one for myself.) The kid got out to look at the damage while I was on the phone. When I got out, he said, "Why don't you give me your info so we can get out of here." I explained that I already called and was going to wait for the police. "This is my husband's company car, and we're required to have a police report."

The kid was not happy. I wasn't about to inspect damage under a snow covered bumper in a blizzard with busy traffic, so I went back to the van.

The office was super nice, very young (and cute! It's always a plus when a cute officer arrives) and came back twice to my van just to check on Atticus. He was so concerned that there was a child in my car.

Fortunately, the entire process did not take long and we were soon on our way again. Shaking, I drove home slowly. The Mister was so sweet and had ordered pizza so I didn't have to cook dinner. The kids all gave me huge hugs. Atticus took it all like a champ.

As part of my New Year's Resolution, I am also going to get off my "No Cell Phone" high horse and get one. That kid was so pissed that I had called the police that I doubt I would have been able to convince him to had I not had a phone available to me.

On this last day of our year, I am feeling SO thankful for my family's health and safety. And we're all wishing you and your family a very safe and healthy New Year!

9 comments:

Jenn said...

I am glad you are both ok. I was in an accident on Sunday. A man who wasn't looking turned left and right into my car. His car is a right off my big beast is barely scratched. He said he didn't see me but I cannot for th elife of me understand how he did not see a black extended Escalade against a white snowy back drop. Thankfully I was not hurt and the kids were at home.

I hate Winter driving.

Again, glad you are both fine. You should get looked at though in case you have some neck issues later.

Anonymous said...

I am grateful that you and Atticus were not hurt in the accident. That was the first thing that worried me when I found out about the accident. I thank God that you two are okay.

This may be God's hint that we need to move to a tropical climate where you can garden year round and there is never any snow! :)

Mr.

Adventures of A n Z said...

Sarah,

Gald you and Atticus are ok. Have a safe and happy new year!. I hope that 2009 brings your and your family much happiness!

Michelle

This Mama said...

I am so glad to hear you both are o.k. - yikes!!

I did get a pay-as-you-go cell phone and I figure that by buying the cheapest most embarrassingly plain phone I could get my hands on I hadn't totally sold out...hehe. I agree that it gives you a little more control/security in certain situations which is why I finally gave in.

Have a great New Years eve :)

small town girl said...

Wow, glad you and Atticus are OK, that is the important thing. It is a sucky experience.

The cop was really nice at my accident too, REALLY NICE---he could have been a real jerk and I was sorta expecting that. I was not expecting REALLY NICE, and I have to say it was a bright spot in an otherwise horrible experience.

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

I am also glad that you and A are ok with no injuries.

Aves

laura said...

I'm glad you are fine. I agree you should move to Florida where it never snows, no matter how much my son wants it to. Now get on verizon so we can talk for free!!


Happy New Year!!
Laura

bbbunch said...

Thank God you are okay! Okay, love snow, hate driving in it!

Beck

Our wonderful family said...

Glad you guys are OK! Isn't it great being a child, and no worries, like Atticus saying "Cool! That was like bumper cars!" If we could all be so stress free when things go wrong!!