Monday, October 20, 2008

The Mr. and Mrs. Have a Date Night


Last night, the Mr. and I went on a Kid-Free Date Night.

For some, date night automatically implies the evening is Kid-Free.

Not so for us.

We have a super short list of babysitters, and so for the likes of us, sometimes we must have a Date Night in the vicinity of our children. In the past, we've ordered Take Out, put candles on the table, poured wine and tucked the kids upstairs in our bed with a bowl of popcorn and a new movie on the dvd player. When necessary, we've traded in plans to see a rated R movie for the likes of 101 Dalmations II and Cars. Heck, we've even brought the kids to super fancy hotels for Cliff's company holiday parties, ordering room service while the Mister ducked out for a brief hour or two to make the mandatory work appearance.

These things would upset a lot of people. In the past we've been told we're crazy. We call it, making the best of the situation. Those who fall within the ranks of Short Babysitter Lists know that sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I'd rather have a modified Date Night to accommodate for our children than no Date Night at all. After all, the kids are only little once; we have many years of empty nesting when we can have Date Nights to our hearts' content.

So, the Mister and I went out for some Guinness and fish 'n chips, and then headed over to the movie theatre. Fish 'n chips probably doesn't sound overly romantic, but last night was a home Packer game, and the movie theatre is located within 1.5 miles of Lambeau Field. The movie was to start within 20 minutes of the game's end, and anyone in this town knows that you don't dare go against Packer traffic and expect to make it to a movie on-time. So we ended up at a spot on the same property as the theatre, and we only had to navigate parking lots instead of Holgrem Way. The food was darn good, and we had the restaurant to ourselves prior to the post game rush.

The Mister and I went and saw this last night:











Fireproof.

We LOVED it. I would highly recommend anyone seeing it, with the caveat that the movie is about marriage and Christianity. If you aren't interested in marital topics or care not to see a Christian movie, then it probably wouldn't hold a high ranking on your To-See list.

For us, the movie was something we needed to see. I love the Mister with all of my heart, and I have great faith in our marriage as we have survived things that make other marriages crumble. We laughed, we cried--well, I cried, I'll let the Mister make the call as to whether or not he cried-- and both of us found the message of the movie to be very profound.

We left the theatre wanting to love each other more and better. Wanting to strengthen our marriage. Being excited about our marriage and the sacred bond between us.

A better Date Night could not have been had.

Thank you, my dear Mister, for a very lovely evening. I am so lucky to have you.

8 comments:

Salzwedel Family said...

Awww, you two are so darn cute! I'm glad you had a good date night. I do agree with you on the modified date nights, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I've looked around our area for showings of Fireproof to no avail. We may end up having to drive to the Green Bay area if we can manage. I keep hoping it will come to central Wisconsin.

ManyBlessings said...

Love the picture!! :)

I'm with you on the date night thing. We just can't do them here. I've got two little ones who don't cope well yet with mom gone, so we make do. :) I keep thinking that back in pioneer days I KNOW they didn't have date night, and yet those families were strong.

dawn

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

I have a very hard time wanting to do things without my Tuki and probably will feel the same after my other two are home too. I just like to spend time with my kids on my off time!!

aves

Wife to the Rockstar said...

YAY for dates!

Anonymous said...

My Dearest Sarah,
I may have had dust in my eyes, really irritating stuff, because my eyes were a little wet. :)

It was a great night, spent with a great woman, watching a movie that, for us and our lives, was great. Did I mention that I want to get the book affiliated with the movie? It may be corny to some, but I feel very motivated to give my wife the attention and pampering and unqualified love she deserves so much.

I love you with all my heart!

- An admiring Mr.

bbbunch said...

I also heard that Kirk Cameron had his real wife "stand in" for the kissing scenes because he refuses to kiss another woman. Sigh. I told Beau that and he said "I couldn't do it either!" He's learning...slow but sure ;)

I agree about date night, however, we could be added to your short babysitter list! Hey...maybe we could do a trade!!!?! Just an idea...but, yes, we too have had MANY a date with our kids (especially the baby...we've taken her EVERYWHERE...hotels, restaurants, etc. - gotta love nursing!)

Love ya!
Beck

Sawatzky Kids said...

Gotta love date night! Glad you guys had such a nice evening out! And the picture...very cute! :)
Shawn and I very much want to see that movie!Glad you gave it two thumbs up.
Shelly

Chapter Two Manmi said...

I am with you with date nights too. We've been home almost a year now and our kids still struggle with being left in the care of nana. We have to be very slow and careful for their sake but oh how we want a date night. I think we've had one in the past year (sans kids). So I do understand and I'm looking forward to more of them when our children are ready.