Monday, October 13, 2008

Found: 120 sq. ft of organized space



In addition to Hattie finding my camera's missing memory card (hooray! thanks, Hattie), we also managed to "find" 120 sq. ft of organized living space which we like to call, "The Mister's Office."

Okay, "find" is a gross misnomer, as the Mister's aching back will likely tell you. One coat of primer, two coats of paint in the shade of Willow Leaf, and the relocation of a rather large, heavy and cumbersome bookshelf "found" their way into the room, and a short day and a half later, voila! The Mister's Office is born.

I am so happy to give the Mister his very own working space. He's an incredible salesman, but struggles with the paperwork end of things. Fortunately for the two of us, we balance each other out. Whereas I feel shy by nature, the Mister encourages me to be outgoing, and he is my rock in those times where I feel uncomfortable. When he has a hard time figuring out how to organize or manage paperwork, I have the ability to pull it all together in a system. We're good that way.

Short on desk space in our house, we're using the very first kitchen table that my mom and dad bought when they were married as the Mister's desk space. Have I ever posted about how much I LOVE filling my home with pieces of furniture that have history and meaning to me? I have very few physical possessions of my father's, so it is such a gift to have this table that they ate at every night in the first years of their marriage. It's a drop leaf table, so it doesn't take up a huge amount of room, yet can provide big-time table surface when those pesky expense reports need to be worked on.


Boppa and the Mister lugged this beast from it's location from the family room into the office. Never a huge fan of it while in the family room, I LOVE it in it's new home.


Our homeschool materials took up residence on the top (I created labels for each shelf so that the kids and Dad know where to place each item.)


And I moved my favorite piece from the family to the office, where it is better utilized in the office, and helps remove the furniture clutter from the family room (but that's another post!). The Mister has a typewriter collection, so I placed one of his favorites on the top, and adorned each side with typewriter/writing prints.


It is such a relief to have the cluttered, chaotic mess that this room had become turn into something organized and uncluttered. Physically, I can feel the reduction in my stress. This project has completely motivated me to tackle our next big project--the family room--this upcoming weekend. I'm not sure how much it has motivated the Mister, but at least now he has his own space he can hide out in when he's trying to recover from the latest home makeover.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dearest Wife,

I am grateful for the office and the organization you've brought to my work life (and life in general). I am lucky to have you as a positive influence and your presence has improved my life in many ways.

I am a lucky man to have you!

-Mr.

Jen said...

Looks great!! I need to tackle a few rooms in my house too....

Me said...

Looks great! When you get done with your house, wanna come work on mine?

small town girl said...

I love finding new use for space in my house too. It looks great!