Monday, October 27, 2008

Finally!

Finally, a few pieces of good news to post, and on a Monday, no less!

I went to our Fed Ex World Services office (which I just recently learned about), instead of Fed Ex Kinko's. The woman at the counter had actually HEARD of the country of Haiti and KNEW where in the world it was (a first for local Fed Ex employees!). She scheduled our package to arrive on Wednesday at the cost of $52. So, by waiting an extra day, I managed to save an entire day (delivery on Wed. instead of Thursday) and $30 (since the other gal tried to get me at $80 something).

So I did a Monday Happy Dance right there with the kids in the Fed Ex parking lot.

My second bit of good news is that I have a Job Interview next week. Wow!

I haven't worked outside the home in quite a while. Not since our Milwaukee years. I'm a bit nervous, but excited. It's a part-time seasonal position, and the hours accommodate our family very well.

The adoption has drained us financially. The cost of the DNA testing was the final nail in our savings coffin, taking the money we had set aside to pay for the boys' Visas and leaving us with a big fat "there's nothing left." We will receive a decent reimbursement from Cliff's company, plus the tax benefits, but that is only after the boys are home. Never did I think 18 months later we would still be waiting for both the boys and the financial rescue. We have managed to string ourselves along, but things like the huge costs incurred by broken appliances, a wonky furnace, rising utility bills and holiday gift expenses wake me up in the night, worrying.

The timing is working quite well for us. The boys won't be home until next year, so I can work through the holiday season without disruption. We had set aside every bit of Cliff's vacation time this year for the boys' homecoming, which isn't happening, so he is able to take some time off for my job training (if I get the job.) We switched to year-round schooling and are taking most of December off, so if I work a late night shift, I don't have to be mentally alert by 7:30 am to begin our homeschool day.

So I feel good about that too. I know that some days will be long, and I'll be tired, but that's okay. I always look to my Mister as my motivation/inspiration. For the first 1.5 years of our marriage, the fellow worked his tail off from 6 am to 6:30 pm, coming home for dinner, going to bed, and then waking up at 2 am for a newspaper delivery route. Seeing how terribly hard he worked to keep me at home to raise our children is so very humbling. He's even offered to take one on again, but I said absolutely not. It's now my turn to pitch in the income department. If the Mister can manage that insane schedule for 1.5 years, I can handle 20 hours a week for a couple of months.

The last time I went on a job interview was in my pre-Paloma years. Meaning my interview clothing is pre-Paloma sizes. Bwwwahahahaha! Like I'll get back in those suckers again!

Ahhh, what a Monday. Good for some big news. And a big laugh.

7 comments:

Sawatzky Kids said...

I am postive you will sail through that interview with flying colors!! In fact I bet they are begging you to work for them five minutes after you sit down! ;) But just in case... ya know I will be praying this works out for you!
Shelly

Amanda said...

Congrats on the new job!

Congrats on the FEDEX service!

Praying your boys will be here before you know it!

A Blessed Life said...

congratulations on saving a little money and the prospect of making a little extra money - I'm sure you'll get the job!

small town girl said...

Yay! Happy Monday, and good luck!

You are right about the financial drain. I have a little money put away for the end of process and I am so afraid it is not going to be there by the time I need it....

Anonymous said...

Folks,
Don't let her fancy writing fool you! She can fit in pre-Paloma clothing. She eats super healthy, gets some exercise from chasing the kids, and tops it off with runs when weather and schedule permit (albeit less and less with Jack Frost hanging around more and more).
Like a fireman walking out of a burning building, my wife has a smoking body!

-Mr.

Sarah & Crew said...

Mister, you are a dork. And a blind one at that!

This Mama said...

Yes, I nearly had trouble with FED/EX too because while they could enter the country Haiti they could not enter Port-au-Prince in the computer. I told them to finally try without the dashes between the words and it worked...but they were ready to give up I tell ya! I am glad you were finally able to send it off that is very good news indeed.

That is funny about your MR because my guy did the paper route thing too (in fact to help us start out the adoption process). I am sorry to hear about your savings going to the DNA. Our dollar just dropped 20% to the US dollar so it bit a nice chunk out of our post IBESR fees.

Was there a post where you mentioned what kind of wok you were looking at getting into? I might have missed that.

Take care!