Friday, September 19, 2008

Scary Food

This scares the jeepers out of me, and is yet another reason why I feel secure in my decision to go back to a vegetarian diet. The only meat I now buy for my family comes from places like this one, here, and if the week's grocery budget doesn't allow it, then we do without.

Even better is a diet in which you can point to the exact spots where the majority of your food comes from, like your backyard or the organic farm down the road or the farmer's market up the block. Way easier on the wallet than the produce sold at your local grocers, not to mention an easier impact on the environment. Granted, it's not 'easier' than throwing a prepackaged, frozen just-heat-and-serve-and-try-to-ignore-the-mystery-meat meal on the table (I've been guilty of that more than once!), but I find a little pre-planning in the meal department goes a long way. It's just a matter of getting my game on enough to get it all done. Yet reading articles like the one above re-ignites my focus on healthy eating and suddenly the menu preparing moves up on my priority list.

Okay, I need to stop surfing the net now and go to bed. Hopefully I won't have nightmares of salmon/mouse hybrids chasing after me down the aisles in a meat packing plant. Ewwwww.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dear Wife,
Doing without meat for a full week? That's CRAZY talk!!!!

I can see it now.... "Honey, have you seen Ernie?" "Uh, no, maybe the dog escaped!"

If we move to the farm, we could always raise a few animals....

-Mr. C

Sarah & Crew said...

This coming from the man who just called me from the road, mowing down on a BK Enormous Omelet, with 730 calories, 45 grams of fat, 330 mg of cholesterol and 1,940 mg of sodium?!? Seriously, how many trunks of corn by-product does it take to make that one item of "food"?

Puh-leeze.

No pity is taken uponeth thou hereth.

Still love you, though, even if the thought of eating that "food" makes me want to r-e-t-c-h!

Smoochers!
The Mrs.