Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Choco-O-Lily-Licious



Why is it that I can wander around nurseries for hours, perusing flowers, oohing and aahing, but walk away empty handed, time and time again, yet when I go to someone's home, see these floral beauties in a natural setting, I can then instantly transform my own yard in my mind's eye?

I guess I'm sort of creatively/visually challenged in that way. But with friends like mine, who the heck cares?

Last weekend I was treated to a tour of my friend Becky's gardens. Gorgeous doesn't quite describe them. Having only lived in the house about 6 years, and when they moved in the backyard was a field of mud, the botanical transformations Becky has performed are nothing short of amazing. Epic. Breathtaking. She possesses a gift I'd give my eyeteeth to have.

(Someday I'll post about her interior decorating and the billions of things that I would love to copy from her house, and maybe even include photos if she'll let me :), but for now, I'll stick to the outside.)

So we were walking around the house, when what to my wandering eyes should appear?

A daylily straight of my dreams.


A sweet dark chocolate day lily.

Have you ever seen anything so gorgeous in your life? Looking at it, I can smell the cacao. I can taste the smooth velvety chocolate.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

And at that moment I knew that I simply must have that daylily.

Becky, I promise that by that last statement, I will not be showing up at your house in the middle of the night, dressed head to toe in black, donning my garden shovel.

The reason I am absolutely ga-ga over this flower is that it is so regal and formal, yet delicate and beautiful. We live in a French Mansard-style colonial. Built in the 1970s, it's a little too 70's for my taste, but I have big plans to get rid of any trace of the 1970's. Like painting the orangish-reddish-brownish brick a delicious creamy taupe-y color (Hey Mister, if you're reading this. . guess what? We're going to paint the brick a delicious creamy taupe-y color!). And then I'm going to let some English ivy grow over the bricks in a few areas.

Last year we dug up all the overgrown box hedges and two large cone hedges (which I called "The Big Boobs" because that's exactly what they looked like!), and replaced it all with a calmer, more formal looking landscape. Very green, with a dash of a purple plum bush and a weeping snow cherry tree. Lots of hostas and mountain boxwood hedges. I didn't want to go overboard with any color splash.

But lately I've been craving color. Yet I had no idea what to do. Until I saw those yummy choco-o-lily-licious plants. And I found a few more to my liking. . .



Wow. This whole post is making feel like such a grownup. Almost too much like a grownup. I think I'm going to eat a big bowl of Lucky Charms now, before I can feel my crow's feet deepen.

2 comments:

Salzwedel Family said...

You are crackin' me up. The flowers really are beautiful...I can see why you like them.

By the way - I loved your mistreatment on the last post. I'm going to have to check out some tips from The Nester.

Beau said...

Thank you Miss Sarah!

I am BEYOND flattered! I do have a thing for lilies (if you hadn't guessed by the name of my youngest ;) My new goal is to collect all different color lilies...it is amazing how many different types there are. FUN! By the way...all the hard work of the gravel mudpit for the last 5 years was worth it for this compliment from you! Thanks!

Beck