Wednesday, June 25, 2008

CSA Bliss







The anticipation of CSA Pick-up Days is greater than that of child on Christmas Eve. I find myself absolutely giddy with the arrival of each box, and I admit that each Thursday afternoon is more exciting than any birthday or other gift-receiving holiday.

Our Spring here in Wisconsin has been pretty dismal. Cold temps and extensive flooding have wreaked havoc on many crops. Good Earth Farm, our CSA producer, has managed to dodge any major or sustainable damage, but crop production is several weeks behind schedule.

The first few boxes have been "light" by their accounts, but I believe they are nothing short of wonderful! Strawberries, green garlic and onions, lettuce mixes, baby bok choi, mushrooms, sugar snap pea pods, garlic scapes, rhubarb--all farm fresh, organic and flavorful beyond belief. Who knew that I could be such a little piggy and eat a full pound of raw sugar snap peas in less than 15 minutes?

I have learned of an amazing California family who grows over 6000 pounds of food on a 1/10 acre gardening site. Amazing! I can only imagine what it must be like to live in a climate where one can grow food year round. For now, I will settle for a full 19 weeks of happy munching on some farm fresh, organic bliss.

No comments: