Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Getting juiced in the afternoon with a High Flyer

Sounds rather illicit, no?

Have no fear, this homeschool mama is still on the straight-n-narrow in the children's waking hours. I'm talking fruit and veggie juice, people.

I started juicing last month. I first was exposed to it by Jane, a woman in my book club whom I sooo admire and secretly want to be like (yes, I'm a Jane groupie!). She and her family live a very centered, healthy life, and she encouraged me to look into juicing for extraordinary health benefits.

I did, and I must say that I was bowled over by my research. I saved my pennies for a good-quality juicer, and the rest is history.

The High Flyer is my favorite afternoon pick-me-up.


Pretty, isnt' it? What gives it that fabulous deep magenta glow?

Beets! Juice a beet, one tart apple, 3-4 carrots, 10 spinach leaves and presto! You got a High Flyer; a healthy energy rush full of more fresh, natural vitamins and nutrients than most Americans get in a week.

I love the beet. I sneak it into the kids' juice and presto! Beautiful, party-pink fruit punch. Kale, spinach, watercress, parsley and all of their fabulous nutrients are coursing through the veins of my family. Makes this Mama delirious with joy at just the thought.

What about all the fiber in the actual fruit or vegetable? people ask. Please note that juicing is in addition to the 5-7 fruits and veggies we should be getting each day. And come on, how many cups of kale or watercress am I going to get into my kids each week? Granted, I chop up kale and put it in nearly everything, but still, I get a lot more of it into them now that I'm juicing.

I'm thrilled that the Mister is all-aboard the Juice Train. The guy loves the stuff, and is even willing to do a two-day juice fast this weekend, in an effort to detox his system and begin the hard work of lowering his cholesterol.

If anyone has any good recipes, I'd love to hear them. Bottoms up!

7 comments:

Katy said...

Well, Sarah- No recipes here, b/c I don't have a juicer. I have a friend who does, though, and love the stuff. Anyway, just wanted to tell you that I discovered your blog and love it! I love the pics of the boys from their daddy's first visit, and the one of your kids at the race- SO adorable! I bet you just can't wait to get your hands on those little boys again! I am going to send you an invite to my blog right now, it should say google-no-reply in the subject.... Katy (from CCI group)

This Mama said...

oooh I love it! I always wanted a juicer bu they are quite expensive, no? Maybe I could find one second hand. I used to buy one called the crab apple up at my school. I will go to the juice bar tommorrow and ask them how they made it. very tart. makes you pucker up. but very very tastey.

Sawatzky Kids said...

So I gotta ask do these juices actually taste good or are you gagging it down? LOL
I am a die hard Sarah groupie and I am willing to try most things you give the thumbs up too! ;)
Shelly

Jen said...

It looks good! I could use a mid-afternoon pick me up....after the braces go on later today I think all my meals will be liquified!

Chapter Two Manmi said...

Hi Sarah,
I'm curious...are these juice drinks sweet? Do they tasted raw and like veggies? I've had some not-so-yummy juiced veggies and just didn't think this was for me. But maybe I just need good recipes. What do you think?
Blessings!

Jen said...

Just because you probably have nothing better to do...i tagged you!

Melissa said...

What brand juicer did you end up with? I was just talking to my husband during dinner about Juicing and do not know what to look for. Thanks ~Melissa