Friday, May 09, 2008

Deep Breathing

This week has been a blur of preparations for Cliff's trip. I am feeling my anxiety rise hourly, and I'm beginning to question the wisdom in assigning the Mister to this task. Not because he is in any way incompetent; my man's quite bright. It's just that, well, newsflash for you, folks:

I'm sort of a wee bit of a control freak.

Boy, I'm glad I got that one off my chest.

I have spent the past week agonizing over this paperwork. Triple checked, photo-copied in triplicate, plus I have written out detailed, explicit instructions regarding the information Cliff must ascertain from Marie's documents and used up an entire stack of bright red "Sign Here" stickies. Our program manager has triple checked my work and triple checked with Marie that she indeed possesses these required documents. I have meticulously filed each document in an expandable file, including both originals, copies and back-ups of the back-ups. Even Martha Stewart would be nodding her approval, were she standing next to me. She's not. However, my mother, whom our family has lovingly likened to "Martha Stewart, on speed," has given her seal of approval.

I have packed Cliff's bags full of donations, gifts, snacks and clothing. Knowing that he does not have the most acute of listening skills for the finer details (love you, babe!), I have written out what he can expect at each place, the names of key players, what documents/i.d. he needs to take with him and where. Notes detailing what to do if things don't go according to plan.

Much of this is overkill. The Mister's a big boy, and I know that he would more than step up to the plate if need be. Alas, I'm by nature a nurturer, and I just want to be able to take care of him while he's away. I don't want him to get there and feel like I threw him to the wolves, left to fend for himself. And, can I help it if send ing him with a color-coded set of notes regarding the various paperwork makes me feel like I'm fulfilling both wifely and motherly duties?


"A wee bit of a control freak"
just might be an understatement, ya think?

4 comments:

small town girl said...

Wondered why we have not heard from you in awhile, you've been busy!
*Martha Stewart on speed* LOL

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
I am grateful for the preparation you put into this. If it wasn't for your assistance, I would be very, very nervous about the trip. Now, I'm just nervous about me screwing up and that is scaled down from what I would normally feel. You are wonderful and I'm a lucky man to have your support, foresight, and guidance.
-Cliff

Jen said...

You cannot be that controlling if you are "letting" Cliff go! I must be way worse than you because I cannot even fathom allowing Phil to go to Haiti alone!!!

Beau said...

Hi lovely lady ;)

You are so cute. I too *ahem* am a WEE bit of a control freak. I can't even IMAGINE the amount of notes I would leave my darling if I were to send him on such a life altering trip! Believe me...you should see the list I am making this morning because I am going to work for 7 hours!!! Just kidding. Well - not really, but you understand! My prayers and thoughts are with your WHOLE family that Cliff has safe travels and has a lovely visit/meeting with your boys and that all the paperwork gets exactly where it needs to be! I hope that you have a wonderful Mother's Day, Sarah! You are such a loving, giving and special person to me, and I learn from you all the time...imagine how your children must feel to have you as their Mom?! I can't wait to get together again soon! Take care sweetie!

Love, Becky