Monday, March 17, 2008

What Time is It?

What time is it?

It's Home School Time;
It's Time for Education!


This is Atticus' theme song. The boy cracks me up. He takes the 'What Time Is It?' lines from HSM2 and rewords them to fit whatever situation is applicable to him. I have that tune playing in my head over and over. And then over again some more.

Rarely have I met a child who talks as much as Atticus. When he was a small boy, I would occasionally lament to my mom that my ears would ache by afternoon naptime. He runs a continuous monologue, morning to night. Delighted for a dialogue, but perfectly content with a monologue. More often than not as of late, he's reflecting upon strategic moves for PS2's Star "Whores" Lego Game, which is his favorite game to play.

And a few hours ago he asked me, "Mom, do you know what hyper means?"

Boy, do I.

Fortunately, Atticus is a happy kid who is quite easy. He loves home school and if I ask him a question, giving him a choice between two types of work, he'll smile and say, "Whatever you want me to do, Mom!" Today I began teaching him to count by 10's. I had him count out 100 pennies, which took him quite a while. I then had him regroup his pennies into groups of 10, and he made 0, 10, 20, 30, etc. labels for each group. What a gift for me to see his "light bulb moment" when he realized just how much faster it was to count to 100 by 10's.

My boy's enthusiasm is contagious, a true chip of the old block, as the Mister is one of the most positively upbeat and cheery people I have ever met.

Sadly, I do realize that I must fully bask in each of those moments because they are numbered. Someday he'll be a teen, perhaps sullen, and I'll think of these days when he talks nonstop and happily agrees to whatever I assign him and ask myself, "Where did those days go?"

1 comment:

Sawatzky Kids said...

Hi Atticus!
Whay are you wearing shorts? It's way to cold here for shorts! I have money in my wallet too. But not 100 pennies! I ge to go to a birthday party today after school. Oh man it would be sweet if you came to the party to!
Bye Atticus
Jack Attack!