Sunday, March 30, 2008

Back to Business

Today marks the end of Spring Break, and with it the end of my hopes and dreams to begin the week afresh with a sparkly clean and organized house. Seven days to clean, sort, organize and shine, and I end up with a bigger mess than I did in the first place. Yikes.

I feel a bit guilty typing this blog entry, as Atticus is sitting at the dinner table next to me, still eating his dinner. We are going on Minute 51. Our boy is always the last to finish his meal by a good 15 minutes, and it's not for food dislike, disobedience or defiance. It is because, and pardon the coarseness of the expression, the child has the worst case of diarrhea of the mouth. Ever. This child talks nonstop throughout the meal, getting in one bite of food to our 15, and that's only when I interrupt him enough to remind him, "Take a bite!"

This weekend marks Atticus' discovery of the Star Wars movies: the original 3, all on VHS. The kid happily sat in our cold basement (the VHS' home) and watched all 3 sagas. Cliff and I had many huge chuckles as he would pause the movie, race upstairs and announce things like, "You won't believe it! Darth Vader is Luke's FATHER!"

This past week I was 6 for 6 in terms of my YMCA workouts, a fact that although I feel good about, does little to motivate me to further workout. Don't get me wrong, I will because I need to, but I have yet to discover a real love for running. Perhaps when the weather improves, I'll find it more agreeable to run outside. For now, running on the treadmill, forced to stare at the butt on the machine in front of me, wondering who is looking at mine behind me, is barely palatable. Plus the darn thing makes me dizzy, and I'm always scared that I'll tip over while walking to the bubbler (the Wisconsin word for drinking fountain).

I'm excited because my dear friend Jill is returning from Haiti tonight, and I missed having her around to gab with multiple times on the phone each day. She is the best type of friend, who although being in the midst of a terribly emotionally painful situation, gave an incredible effort in a failed attempt (though absolutely no fault of her own) to secure some much needed adoption paperwork for us. She is the kindest of the kind, and a true giver, and we feel so blessed to be sharing this insane adoption journey with her and Brent.

Well, my good son finished his soup, and we're off for some I-Spy Bingo fun! I hope everyone enjoyed their Spring Break, and I wish you all an calm Monday to ease back into the same ol' same ol'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
I'm proud of you for staying disciplined enough to make every workout for the first week. One day at a time and you'll be at the end in no time.
On another note, I'd recommend a running group to help keep you motivated. Of course, when you mentioned that people who like running piss you off, well, that kind of killed the suggestion before it was even made....

-Cliff

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

10 weeks...that is the magic number where the body starts to not only love running, but also crave it. It is no longer mind over matter, but rather matter over mind...I can go a day or 2 without working out, but by the third day, I am restless and crabby because my body is screaming for a good endorphin high.

Good job so far.....you are well on your way...I wish I could go 6 days a week, but I do what I can.

Aves

Anonymous said...

This is Cliff. I love you and miss you! (I'm sneaking a love email to you during my meeting!). No need to publish, just want to say hola to you.

-Cliff