Sunday, February 10, 2008

Warning: Excessive Caloric Intake Ahead

For The Mister, there is no greater way of showing him love than to cook for him. He loves to eat. I love to cook. We're a match made in heaven.

Now, add in Prairie Woman (see her blog link at the right), and my, my, my, we've created quite the menage trois.

Over the past week or so, I have sampled a number of her dishes. Tonight, we dined on her famous Chicken Spaghetti, or as she puts it, the only casserole both Marlboro Man and her kids alike will eat. The results were attractive; the taste, incredible.


The recipe is so simple, even Paloma had fun mixing it up:


Prairie's French Puff Pastries were so heavenly, Cliff asked me to marry him all over again. A light, soft muffin, drenched in melted butter and rolled in cinnamon sugar. Could it get any better?

And on Superbowl Sunday, I made my man a huge plate of the Spicy Roasted Chicken Legs. Mmmmmm, mmmmmmmm. The Colonel should put a bounty out on Prairie's head.

Unfortunately, our caloric intake was not limited solely to the above dishes. In the past weeks, we've been busy making homemade bread:


unhealthy butter-Crisco chocolate chip cookies:


and my birthday cake (a layer of whipped cream/cream cheese/crushed Oreo goodness, sandwiched between two moist homemade devil food cake layers):


However, we weren't complete gluttons. All the heavy food has given me a major hankering for my pre-Mister vegetarian days. I've been working on perfecting my Haitian rice and beans so that the boys can have some familiar, comfort food when they arrive. That and the fact that they are soooo good: the rice and beans at Walls was just incredible! I am getting close to some extent, but I still have a long way to go. I think when we return to Haiti to pick up the boys, I'm going to beg Veniel to let me hang out with in the kitchen one of those afternoons.

So, last night I made Haitian rice and beans, topped with sauteed green peppers and onions, topped with cheese, guacamole and sour cream. As an added treat, we had a fun time frying up some plantains! And look: Mr. Carnivore liked it! He really liked it!





Strangely enough, I'm feeling an intense urge to go to the Y right now. The indigestion and caloric reality of the past few weeks is finally starting to sink in--right to my thighs.

5 comments:

small town girl said...

Wow, those are some great recipes! By the way, I am working on perfecting the Haitian Chicken they serve at Walls, and like you, I'm getting closer but not there yet. My son loved it. I was thinking of just spying on them in the kitchen next time...it is kinda hard with a couple of little kids running around though!

Sarah & Family said...

Marta---Please post your Haitian Chicken recipe! That stuff is the best! I would love to nail down that one. . yummy!

Jen said...

You are a good wife...i am trying to cook more. It is usually edible, sometimes good, but never great (except for my canneloni, which was superb!)...did you use the seasoning she recommended for the chicken? or did you create your own? do tell!!

Sawatzky Kids said...

THANKS SARAH!!!!
I am officially starving now! Oh man have you guys been eating well! I saw those muffin things over at her site and have wanted to try them glad to hear you guys liked them! Now I need to cook something! LOL
Shelly and gang

me said...

I love Pioneer Woman and her recipes! Looks delicious. I noticed your reading, Brother, I'm Dying and Get Out of That Pit...how are you liking them? They are both on my 'to read' list. I liked Attaching in Adoption but have trouble retaining some of it. Hopefully I can remember what I need to when the young un's are home.