Saturday, August 11, 2007

When the Moon Hits Your Eye

Some of my favorite childhood memories are those Friday nights when my father would make pizza dough and we would all garnish our own pizzas. He would toss the dough in the air and sing 'That's Amore!', making us all giggle madly. My father died before my brother was even old enough to have these memories that are so deeply entrenched in me, and this realization is a continual reminder to me of the importance of such family moments.

Friday night we celebrated our first week of homeschooling with Pizza Night. Atticus was enchanted by the idea, and spent the entire day discussing the dynamics of dough tossing.
What if it falls on my face mom? Do I take it off, or do I take a bath?
What if I slip and it lands on your refrigerator?
What if I drop it and it lands on the floor?


You pick it up and use it. It's called The Fifteen Minute Rule in our house, son.

Our Dough Boy was a great assistant when it was time to mix and knead the dough.

Both Hatfield and Atticus displayed great form in the Dough Tossing Category:


Tummies rumbled as we put on the finishing touches:

Atticus gave the finished product a big thumbs up:

For years after my father died I just thought that those times were simply gone. Thank you, my children, for giving me these fun and loving times all over again.
When the moon hits your eye
Like a big-a pizza pie
That's amore
When the world seems to shine
Like you've had too much wine
That's amore

Bells'll ring
Ting-a-ling-a-ling
Ting-a-ling-a-ling
And you'll sing "Vita bella"
Hearts'll play
Tippi-tippi-tay
Tippi-tippi-tay
Like a gay tarantella

When the stars make you drool
Joost-a like pasta fazool
That's amore
When you dance down the street
With a cloud at your feet, you're in love
When you walk in a dream
But you know you're not dreamin', signore
'Scusami, but you see
Back in old Napoli, that's amore

(When the moon hits your eye)
(Like a big-a pizza pie, that's amore)

That's amore

2 comments:

Jen said...

Sarah, I love the pizza night idea! I think we may "borrow" it from you. I am always in search of things we can do as a family. Now that the kids are getting older and spending more time with friends I want them to have a planned family night. A night where we can all be together, talk about our day and have fun. I think family traditions are wonderful and make for such great memories when you become an adult.

Sawatzky Kids said...

"Hello, I would like to place an order for delivery..."
Shelly and gang