Monday, August 20, 2007

One Classy Lady



I love Harper Lee. For those who do not know, this amazing woman is the author of the book, To Kill A Mockingbird. My all-time favorite book, my Atticus is named after Atticus Finch. Since high school, I always knew that I would have a son named Atticus. When pregnant with Paloma, Cliff and I seriously considered the name Harper, but decided against it because it seemed a bit creepy in a obsessed fan sort of way.

Harper Lee is a reclusive woman these days, shunning media and public appearances, so any accounts of her presence is a treat to me. Today she broke her silence while attending a ceremony in Alabama, honoring living Alabamians. The chairman joked with Lee, saying that he knew she had something she wanted to say for the crowd.

"Well, it's better to be silent than to be a fool," was her reply.

I have a lot to learn from Miss Harper Lee. I think we all do, perhaps.

No comments: