Friday, August 24, 2007

A Major Schlumpf

A bad night turned into a worse morning, when, awake with Paloma at an ungodly hour, I flipped open Good Housekeeping, and there she was: my mirror image.

The title of the article?

"Have You Let Yourself Go?"

Yes, I have turned into Miss Schlumpfy. A past-due haircut hair, layered clothing, schlumpfy canvas purse, ugly sandals. The model is my size, my complexion, my hair and eye color. Ugh.

Really, I would expect to find myself to be rated this in a Glamour or Vogue magazine. But Good Housekeeping?!? Are ya kidding? No, apparently not.

I am waaaayyyy too young to be feeling this way, so something's gotta change. Now it's just a matter of finding the time; that should be a cakewalk, because after all, every homeschooling mother of 3 has time to conduct a self-image overhaul.

Honestly, I would think that today is Monday instead of Friday. I just want to crawl into bed and stay there for quite a while. Haitian adoption timelines are being hand delivered to Hell in a Handbasket, courtesy of The Corrupt. What went from ONE bottleneck that was systematically working it's way down the line (and one that I was naive enough to believe would be nonexistent as we worked our way through the system), has somehow turned into bottlenecks in EVERY stage of their adoption cycle. The step that I'm in will not release files for "some time" while an audit is being done by UNICEF, which is a solidly ANTI-adoption organization and probably is in no hurry to get things moving right along. But does it even matter? The steps after are just as bogged down.

My emotional spectrum has been from wanting to scream, to being weepy, to now feeling just numb. This ride is crazy, and at this point, I'm not enjoying it at all.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh girl! You sound like you need a night out with the girlfriends!! How about Brownies at Debbie's tonight :-)

-Mel

Jen said...

Sarah, I know how you feel. This entire ride is brutal and at times I want to get off. Just when you find out you are making progress something else rears it's ugly head to tell you, you are not. I wished we lived closer, we could drown our sorrows in some chocolate together.

As for the makeover...I too am in need of some help. I see other women my age out shopping and they and their children look like they are about to go to a photo shoot. Although my kids usually look hip and cute, I have taken a fashion nose dive.

It could be worse, you could have a really bad dye job and look like Peter Gallagher right now. That is what I look like courtesy of my sister.

P.S.

Are you on Facebook?

Jen said...

Sarah, I know how you feel. This entire ride is brutal and at times I want to get off. Just when you find out you are making progress something else rears it's ugly head to tell you, you are not. I wished we lived closer, we could drown our sorrows in some chocolate together.

As for the makeover...I too am in need of some help. I see other women my age out shopping and they and their children look like they are about to go to a photo shoot. Although my kids usually look hip and cute, I have taken a fashion nose dive.

It could be worse, you could have a really bad dye job and look like Peter Gallagher right now. That is what I look like courtesy of my sister.

P.S.

Are you on Facebook?

Sawatzky Kids said...

Hey Sarah...Totally have those days too...as far as image goes anyway! I was just informed by Amy about a manicure and martini Monday at some fancy restaurant downtown..but apparently still cheap! I say we grab the details and plan for a big girls Monday night out soon!
Shelly and gang