Friday, August 10, 2007

First Week of Homeschool


Well, we finished our first week of homeschool--and survived! Actually, I am really quite pleased at how well it turned out. From the very first day we got off to a great start due to Hatfield's surprise sign she made for us:

Atticus, while excited for homeschooling, began his day a bit more slowly. He passed on my offer of a morning cup of coffee.

From the start, it was apparent to me what was working well and what would need improvement. I made an extra jobs list (to supplement our chore chart) and food menu for the week, and they were both a huge hit with the two older kids. However, I need to be more mindful of a rotation with Paloma's toys, as well as provide more table top activities for her, because that's where she wants to be--at the table just like the big kids. I also need to add more cutting/pasting projects for Atticus. That kid really loves to use scissors! I gave him a stack of coupons to cut out on Monday and he whipped through them in about 15 minutes.

We were able to take advantage of the nice weather, and today we had a ton of fun with sidewalk chalk on the driveway. The kids had a grand time taking turns lying on the drive and drawing outlines around one another! The neighbors sure got a kick out of that one.



Each day I set aside some of the read alouds for Cliff to do at the end of the day with the kids. They all seemed to really like this special time together. The science book The Great Dinosaur Mystery, our globe and our Markable Map were the big hits of the week.

All in all, I feel pretty good about our start to this new chapter of our lives. I'll be certain to post the good, the bad, and the ugly in the weeks to come.

2 comments:

Sawatzky Kids said...

Hey there Cruz's....
I was hoping for a first week summary on the homeschooling! :) (glad to see you came through on that)hehehe
So glad to hear that everything went so smooth! Love the menu on the fridge..I may steal that one even though we don't homeschool. Great sign Hattie!
Hope the second week goes even better than the first!
Shelly and gang

Jen said...

Yay!! Sarah you are a super-mom. So happy it is working so well for you guys. I remember you saying how excited you were to start HS. Glad it is going smoothly. Does Paloma like play-do, or finger paints? That may keep her entertained for a while at the table. My little guy likes to do those while we work on homework.