Monday, July 16, 2007

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary, How Does Your Garden Grow?

Like Crazy!


The kids and I have been busy at the beginning stages of our harvest. Green beans, yellow beans, violet peppers, Hungarian Wax Hot Peppers, green peppers, jalapeno peppers--ripe for the pickin'! We're eating well and having fun anticipating what our next pick will be.

I realize though that I am in major need of additional garden space, as my garden is seriously crowded and still growing like mad! Sometimes it's difficult for me to see the obvious, but it finally did occur to me that our side yard is the *perfect* spot for my dear hubby to build some beautiful raised bed garden plots--just like the ones in all the garden books he checked out for me from the library (bet he'll be regretting that move, ha ha ha!).



I would very much like to have a garden that would provide a substantial amount of our winter's vegetable consumption. I realize that with five growing children (and hopefully more than that one day!), this will have to be a well-planned, thoroughly thought out endeavor. But I feel up to that task, and I think it would be a great homeschooling activity as well. Researching the growing cycle of a variety of vegetables: science; drafting garden plot configuations: math; growing seedlings from seed: science/botany; learning the best ways to compost and reduce garden waste: ecology/science; figuring the money we save growing our own produce: economics; memories of gardening fun and excitement: real life.

2 comments:

Sawatzky Kids said...

Okay totally made my brain hurt just reading that! hehehe
You are an inspiration!
Shelly

Jen said...

you are a brave lady!!! What a great idea and will allow for a lot of learning for the kiddos!