Monday, February 12, 2007

Channeling June Cleaver


The title would have been perfection but for my lack of pearls (which I actually have)and frilly apron (which I don't have but saw an adorable McCalls pattern for that I just think I might have to sew together!)

Sorry the lapse of blogging. . . what have I been up to, loyal readers want to know. Well, I'll tell you: Sarah's got her groove back and she's locked herself in the kitchen!

Now am I saying this tongue-in-cheek or aren't I? On some level, I most certainly am. Our good ol' Whirlpool dishwasher has kicked the bucket and yet to be replaced, so I'm spending an alarming percentage of my day washing and drying dishes. I'm not quite certain as to when the new one will arrive, but I'll tell you this: Never, ever, ever will I take for granted the fabulous dishwasher. Unloading the dishwasher used to be my least favorite, most dreaded task of all time. No more! I know recognize the sheer brilliance and absolute luxury of such a device.

On another level, I really feel like I am getting back into the swing of things, post-baby speaking. When Cliff and I first married and I began my life as a SAHM, we were very poor and had a tight budget with no wiggle room. As such, I made EVERYTHING from scratch, and I mean EVERYTHING! Our grocery bill was astoundingly low but we ate incredibly well and never felt deprived. I am so grateful for that time in our life because it made me a very good cook/baker (yes, I'm tooting my own horn, and I hope you're eyes get stuck there in that roll, LOL!) and a homemaker where very little food goes to waste (On a personal level, I think wasting food is an absolute sin).

Anyway, fast forward in our marriage several years, and we realized a phenomenon called "post-baby-convenience-food-dependency syndrome." With the addition of each new bundle of joy, my ability to cook from scratch and abhorrence of convenience food went right out the pantry, and in it's place Market Day orders and Stovetop Stuffing. I joke that I'm truly getting my groove back when I find myself cooking from scratch again and the weekly grocery bill edging it's way back down. Not the most exciting way to get one's groove back, but hey, it's where I am in life, and honestly, I wouldn't want it any other way :)

No comments: