Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Sarah's Public Service Announcement

This is what I recovered from the cavity beneath my dryer's lint screen:




Ewwwwwwww.

Frankly, I'm absolutely amazed at how much lint collected in the 7 months that we have been in this house. I'm even more amazed that my dryer had not turned into one huge fireball!

My dryer in West Allis "nearly" caught fire. I say "nearly" because by the grace of God, I went downstairs to find a dryer that, although turned "off," was so hot that the top of it burned my palm, a heating element so overheated that a strong red light lit up that corner of the basement, and the first wisps of smoke visible. The first culprit: an out-of-whack heating element, which we immediately had replaced. The second heating element overheated in the exact same matter two days later and we decided to get rid of the thing right there and then.

That lesson taught me to NEVER ever run a dryer when one is not home.

This lesson taught me to ALWAYS check my dryer for errant lint at least once a month.

So please, if you are reading this, go check out your dryer lint trap to see what allergy-provoking gunk you can find.

No comments: