Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Atticus's "Skeer-y" Haunted House!


Once upon a time, October 2002 to be exact, my sister Stephanie (lovingly referred to as "Aunt Sesame" by Atticus) took Hatfield for a Saturday afternoon and created a fabulous haunted Halloween gingerbread house. While constructed of mere gingerbread and held together by frosting, Hatfield's haunt has the strength of a nuclear bomb shelter, thus surviving four Halloweens and two moves without so much as a scratch.

Atticus, upon viewing Hatfield's treasure, declared "No fair. . I want to make a Halloween gingerbread house." So I took it upon myself to purchase a kit and declared today as Construction Day.

I have a newfound respect for my sister. . .

Good lord, you really need an engineering degree to build one of these things. They throw a whole bunch of gingerbread pieces in a box, instructing you to "use a ruler as a guide and shave them so that they have straight edges." Then, after shaving them, they tell you that "the 3 x 3 1/2 inch piece is the right upper roof. The 3 X 3 1/4 inch piece is the upper left roof. The 2 7/8 x 3 1/4 inch piece is the left side wall. Make certain to not interchange the pieces or the structure will collapse." With such a small difference in sizes and zero margin of error, it was so obvious to me that the manufacturer had small children in mind when creating such instructions.

Fortunately, for a liberal arts graduate such as myself, I had my dear friend Melanie the Architect over for coffee at this point in the building process. With her great patience and professional guidance, I was able to construct a sturdy structure.

During Paloma's naptime, Atticus and I decorated his Spooky Ghost House. He was so proud of all of our work, and the best thing about working with a four-year old is that no matter how bad your frosting-decorating skills are, they think you are FABULOUS! "Mom, that's Awesome!" "Mom, it's beautiful!" "Mom, great job! I love it!" My ego seriously needed such boosting after the instructions made me feel like such a moron!

The job is done and now Atticus's home proudly stands next to Hatfield's for all to see. In the meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out what relative I'm going to dupe into making one with Paloma in 3 short years from now. . .

Happy Haunting!

No comments: